Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased the 09 G8 base V6 and would like some help from the pro's here with the beginning mods.
I was thinking:
1) K&N filter
2) rear gears (posi if not stock posi) Need info on my rear
3) Headers/ solo's
4) torque convertor
5) intake,cam lifters, chain, heads?? Hogged/ported/ aftermarket?

I know some of you guys are going to say just get the V8.http://www.g8board.com/forums/images/smilies/slap.gif
I'n any event if anyone can give some good sound advice, parts that work, parts to stay away from that would be helpful.
Thanks
Eric

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey listen Mr. andrewbrooks87 if every new member just used the search forms and google..... this Pontiac G8 site would suck and everyone would be bored to death no ?
But hey sarcasm is good !!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is also a new tune out by Overkill motorsports. Board member Les has recently installed it. Non-performance, I'd recommend the gxp diffuser. It gives it that extra flare.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Don't mind him... thats his response to everything.

Congrats on your purchase. I used to have a V6, loved her, but there just wasn't much in the way of performance upgrades, but it looks like there a lot more options now, tuning, headers, all that good stuff. switching out to the GT 2.92 is easy enough, and I see you're in Ontario. I will have them for sale in the spring if you can wait that long. Member here named Les that I know just got his V6 ECM tuned along with TCM, and is happy with the results. Check out Hazer's build thread as well. As he is the consensus baddest V6 (formerly, now) owner....

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45628&highlight=hazer+v6+build

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys, @MrCodyBrock.... The rear seems like the best place to start and would likely give me the best bang for the buck starting out. I could certainly wait until spring. I will check out Hazer's build. I'm no expert but certainly not a newbie when it comes to mechanical abilities. I have a 76 olds cutlass in which I installed an eaton posi, 3:42 gears, TCI saturday night special T/C crane cam e'brock intake/carb/ 1" carb spacer heddman ceramic coated/ 2 1'4 stainless pipes flowmaster super 44's, Hurst shift with kit powermaster starter and the list goes on.
The G8 is my new toy.... I will have to wrap my head around the computerized side of things here and what part combo's will work.
Eric

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yup, whole new ballgame now

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh 4sure, Blast me a PM when you have rears for sale and we will hook-up this spring. Good part is I won't have to swap a bunch of speedo gears to get the mph correct should be a simple program change .

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Les has been happy with his build so far and I'm sure you will get some advice from some of the guys here.

Just pull the motor and put in an ls3 lol

Happy modding!

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
I started with k&n and solo axlebacks. GXP diffuser GXP front clip. The tune installed is a brand new tune for the v6. Overkill and i worked hard to get it done . First thing on my mind is to get it to brrath better.
Congrats on the v6. PM me if you need any advice.

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Newbie forum rules, I cannot post attachments. Its really nothing outstanding just a 1976 Olds Cutlass Supreme restored, Most of these land yachts were crushed over the years. It was a great project thou. When I'm off probation here I'll be sure to share with ya'll .
Cheers
Eric

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Put some pics of the 76 in the avatar album thanks for the interest.
@ Les , Thanks I will definitely PM you in the near future, Just doing some finishing up on my olds before the snow flies here. I will be diving into this G8 by the end of October. Just cruising around with it for now. It will be a winter project.
Cheers
Eric

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I'm sorry but I have to be one of those guys. Put it this way.

1) Mod your V6 and note the hp outcome. Add up the time and $ needed to get there.
2) Price out a V8 version and note the hp increase and note the $ differential in between the V6 and V8. Well now it would be what you can sell your V6 for and what you can buy a V8 for.

Compare 1) and 2). Then make your decision.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts