Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two times in the last month or so I have been on the interstate with the cruise on and suddenly the cruise kicks itself off and I get the " X contact dealer" message. I got back on the gas, reset the cruise and all was right with the world. Both times this happened once on a 2hr drive. Anyone have anything similar happen???

·
You've got mail, YAAAAY!
1,950 Posts
The only time I have seen the X is when I tuned the car and it cycled through all the warning messages. It looked pretty ominous.

·
Registered
172 Posts
anything happen when it popped up? when mine came up in a similar situation my fuel gauge went to E, i just put in some of that chevron with techron fuel system cleaner and it hasn't happened since

·
Registered
608 Posts
Mine did that once in the summer when I was low on fuel, temps were around 80+. Fuel gauge dropped below E, and contact Dealer came on. I have a feeling the fuel pump was a little on the warm side. Never ran it below a 1/4 since, never had that happen again either.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I'd recommend checking for codes; if there are any stored but not enough to "trip the CEL" then you could learn what subsystem is possibly malfunctioning.

I've also heard that bad/corroded engine grounds could cause this X.

Good luck man

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both times it happened it was under 60 out and I had over half a tank of gas. I will pay more attention to the gas gauge if it happens again. I didnt notice any loss of power at the time, just felt like I turned off the cruise with my foot off the gas. Zepcom I will do a scan for codes right after work and see what comes up. Thanks all!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've gotten the orange X of death several times. I have ignored it each time. In my case I think it has something to do with my gas cap since when the car was new I had several problems with it tripping my evap sensor and the orange X occurred those times also. That's really just conjecture though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I checked for codes, no dice. Today was the day for the day to get my kids back again. 2hrs each way and it was during these drives the X showed up.Before I left I tuned back to 91oct just because its easier for me to get than 93. Made the trip fine no glitches.... Ill see what she does on the way home. Maybe there was some small problem when I tuned up to 93??

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Made it home just fine too..... guess Ill wait and see what happens.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well I guess I jinxed myself by writing about ignoring my x because today I was driving home on the interstate (6 hours in the car for today's travel time) and the x came up, the reduced power statement flashed and my car went into limp home mode. It is at the dealer now, hopefully not anything the power train warranty cannot handle... I was over 60 miles away but I made it to the dealer. The car really surged and shook badly when traversing slow traffic areas.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Anybody have more updates on dealing with this?

I got the red X last week too, and it hasn't gone away at all. I don't have any decrease in performance or experience anything noticeably wrong whatsoever. The ONLY odd thing that happened is that now my odometer, trip odometer, fuel range, and avg MPG have all stopped.

I still gave the dealer a shot and took it in. Of course they found no codes or any direction, or ideas at all.

Car's been driven about a 100+ miles since then. Still runs great, but odometer, etc still frozen.

Any advice would be reeaaallly highly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
I may be wrong about this, but I thought I remembered seeing that this could also be caused by them issuing a recall that affects your vehicle via onstar or something.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I believe I read that somewhere in all of my digging. I wonder how I could even troubleshoot that as a possibility... I replaced the onstar box a year or so ago with a bluetooth one from a former g8board member. No clue what kind of car it originally came out of, but I'm 99.99% positive it wasn't a G8 that had bt.

I definitely have thought about that...or I think someone said the onstar backup battery could possibly set this off too, but I'm not even sure where that is or anything.

Also, though....would that really freeze the odometer but leave everything else functioning fine? I hate not knowing where to start.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had this happen last weekend on a 3hr trip. Over 1/2 tank of gas, the X comes on display, I notice the gas gauge is on E. Wait a little bit and the gauge goes back to normal and the X goes away. Same trip, twice the TPS system quit reading the pressure in the tires. Light flashes and it dings for a little bit. Check the screen with tire pressure and it reads all ----. Wait a little while and it's all back to normal.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
*nbortz*--- To make sure that I understand what are you posting, all 4 gauges operate correctly, and all warning icons display as they should ? All information in the DIC as in after system self test run thru and *welcome* is displayed* , it changes to digital speed readout and reads correctly ? That displayed info in the DIC (like *ESP OFF*) when the TC switched is cycled to off is correct ?
But you have a big X displayed *at all* times in the DIC, yet somehow you can access those 3 readouts, and verify that their displays are frozen, and all other displays in that DIC (when paged thru), will show their info correctly ? I have yet to see that warning, to understand how much area of the DIC is used up for that X.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got the X on Saturday, after work. My car wouldn't go into reverse and the stability control shut off. I shut the car off, waited a minute, restarted it. Only the engine light came on. Drove 20 miles home with no issues. Drove back to work this morning with the engine light on. Took car out at lunch and all lights were off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently changed my spark plugs, and in doing so, I accidentally broke the ECT sensor (coolant sensor). The red X of death came up. I used the BlueDriver chip and PO118 code came out as a ECT sensor damage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts