Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The fabric with foam backing is lifting off the rear deck. Anyone found a suitable fabric that matches? Took it to a local upholstery shop and their material matches in color but not the texture.
Has anyone had the cover redone or repaired?
Did you end up using the same material with foam backing or did you opt for a non foam material. Seems like foam material on a location that gets hit by the sun would not be a great idea.
I actually have the rear deck cover out of the car already.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I wonder, would this be an opportunity to stitch a pattern into it? Give it some interest, a custom look?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe but a matching fabric would be nice.
I assume most upholstery shops will have similar fabrics or have access to get a fabric close to the one we have in our cars.

·
Flying the Pontiac Flag
554 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I have fixed the rear deck headliner and installed it. This is not a difficult job it just requires some patience and you will need it. The hardest part about the install is getting the rear plastic vent trim off the rear deck. The rear plastic vent trim has these white plastic clips that clip into the rear metal speaker deck. They secure the rear speaker deck cover and keep it from moving around or rattling against the back glass. The problem is that these clips are glued on from the factory. There is a high probability that you will break the vent trim piece that these clips slide into. Maybe you can use an adhesive remover but it might damage the vent trim.

I went with the stock foam material which was a direct match to the headliner. This material is common to Ford and Toyota headliner material. The one big difference is the foam backing. This new material has a better foam backing than OEM.

I used 3M 90 spray adhesive to glue the headliner material. This is the one you want or one with similar performance Do not use 3M 77, 3M 80 or general purpose adhesives. You want an adhesive that will work well in high temperatures.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts