Pontiac G8 Forum banner

281 - 300 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Alright, just trying to decide which is more simple. My brother said Super Chips has been around since the 80's and are really good. Seems you guys have good luck with them as well.
Thanks! :)

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
The Cortex is a decent starter tuner that holds it's value on here quite well. It's only good for specific intakes or stock car, but it's a good entry level tuner.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the SuperChips Cortex and like it for my current needs. If you don't have the money or time to extensively mod your G8, the Cortex is a good tuner. Greatly helps the shifting and a noticable increase in power. If your going to be adding bigger mods such as headers, cam or heads, go with a custom tune. Just my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I plan to add Headers, Cat-Back Exhaust, and intake. Use the Cortex? or would the Flashpaq unit work just as well? seen good reviews for it also, and a bit cheaper. Thanks!

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
I plan to add Headers, Cat-Back Exhaust, and intake. Use the Cortex? or would the Flashpaq unit work just as well? seen good reviews for it also, and a bit cheaper. Thanks!
You can't use the Cortex with headers. It can only be used on stock or CAI. Once you go beyond CAI you will have to get a dyno tune, Livernois or VMS.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What is the latest version. I have V138. I went to stock to take car to the dealer for recall and front end repairs (Koons Chevy in White Marsh). I am very happy with the repairs. Drives like a new car! I did not know if I should update.
Thanks. Jim

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Great info, guys :) I guess I will skip the whole tune and just go with the bolt-ons. Thanks!
?

You'll still need a tune if you bolt on anything past a CAI and Catback/Axleback.

A good tune will optimize your bolt on mods performance.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
There is no update involving the G8 tune. Only updates now are new automobile tunes being available.

Update when convenient.
2011 GM 5.3L, 6.2L Gas Truck Vehicle Coverage:

Our focus on truck tuning is evident with the release of the 2011 GM Gas Truck and SUV tuning. The Flashpaq (part no. 2865), Cortex (part no. 2950), and VIVID PAQ (part no. 528650) delivers our tuning for impressive horsepower and torque to the wheels for some the most popular GM trucks and SUV’s.

We deliver multiple dyno-proven power levels and a variety of user-tunable options.

· Greater increases in horsepower, torque & drivability

· Optimized towing power

· Works with most cold air intake and cat back exhaust kits

· Monitor & record driving & vehicle performance with data logging

· Real-time vehicle sensor display

· Adjust Transmission Settings: Yes

· Shift Firmness: Yes

· Speed Limiter: Yes @ stock (98) or 150

· Rev Limiter: Yes @ stock (6000) or 6250

· 2-year powertrain warranty – Cortex Only

91 Performance: + 15 max HP, +16 max lbs-ft TQ

Towing: + 11 max HP, +12 max lbs-ft TQ, up to OEM maximum load

Spark advance Options: -4 to +2 degrees

Gear Options: From 3.42 to 4.88 ratios

Tire Options: From 26” to 38”

Fan Temp Options: Yes

Displacement on Demand: On/Off

·
BigCasnio
525 Posts
Wow...so if I want to add headers on my ride along with my varavam then I need a dyno tune? Dang that flashpaq was a waste of money then.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
you don't NEED a dyno tune, but you would need at LEAST a mail order tune from livernois or vector. if not, you need someone (or yourself) who can tune with HPtuners. basically, no, the superchips will not work with headers or HFC's for that matter.

·
BigCasnio
525 Posts
Wow...I don't think I'm getting headers then. I guess I don't understand why the sc tune would be wrong for car with aftermarket headers. From reading descriptions...both tunes look almost the same on Paper. I am probably wrong though.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Wow...I don't think I'm getting headers then. I guess I don't understand why the sc tune would be wrong for car with aftermarket headers. From reading descriptions...both tunes look almost the same on Paper. I am probably wrong though.
Headers and cams radically change the flow versus rpm characteristics through the engine. The SC tuner or most canned tunes for that matter aren't setup to handle the almost infinite combinations that result. With headers and cams the tuner has to monitor whats happening and then make appropriate changes.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
the superchips will work fine with the basic catback/CAI combo. if you add any other mods, then the cortex will not support them. i'm in the same boat and now need to find another tune by spring.

·
SciFi Gear Head
67 Posts
I just finished reading this whole thread. I received my Cortex yesterday and my Vararam will be here on Tuesday.

I was wandering if anything ever came of this new TCM update? I saw several mentions of it and then this seemed to be the last.

I should have some kind of time frame for release today, hopefully.

The update address every shift, in every mode, improving all shifts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry, I haven't been on for awhile. I will post pics of my new car soon! been busy with her. So, from what I've read, I will need a Dyno tune being I installed Kooks headers, Roto-Fab CAI, and Magnaflow exhaust, correct? Neither hand-held tuner will be able to handle these mods? Where is Livernois or VMS located?
Thanks!

·
Capital City G8
120 Posts
Sorry, I haven't been on for awhile. I will post pics of my new car soon! been busy with her. So, from what I've read, I will need a Dyno tune being I installed Kooks headers, Roto-Fab CAI, and Magnaflow exhaust, correct? Neither hand-held tuner will be able to handle these mods? Where is Livernois or VMS located?
Thanks!
Cortex won't work well with the headers. Your car will run lean. Do yourself a favor and get a proper dyno tune. Make sure your tuner knows how to tune our trans before you jump in. Our trans is not easy to get perfect. Look for a respectable tuner that's local to you and enjoy the new found power when done. :)

281 - 300 of 380 Posts