Pontiac G8 Forum banner

301 - 320 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
cortex won't work. dyno tune or mail order tune are your options. VMS and livernois are both located in Michigan.

·
Registered
60 Posts
superchips support

Is the support from Superchips good, even if we have bought our Cortex 2950 used? Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
First, thanks to all who have contributed here...I've spent hours reading up on all this great info. My SC Cortex and Vararam are on their way to me as I type.....and I can't wait to unleash this thing!!

I have a couple Q's - and I don't recall this being discussed anywhere:

I occassionally will be driving my G8 on long/weekend trips...800 miles plus...and i'm interested to know if there's any real difference in mpg between the available tunes. For example, would there be any benefit to running the 91 performance tune for general "fun" driving and then switch to 87 tune for the long trips when I know I"m gona burn thru a tank each day?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The only difference will be you paying more for fuel to run the 91 on your long trips. If it were me, I would run the 87 tune for your long trips. You would be better off saving in gas and losing the 3 to 5 horse power difference between the tunes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Roto-Fab & Cortex - better results with Perf tune?

Just wondering if some of the Roto-Fab users here have seen better results (LTFT, fuel mileage, power, etc) from the Cortex performance tunes over their Roto-Fab tunes? In my case the LTFTs moved higher, going from about 4-ish with the Perf 91 tune to 8.6 with the Roto-Fab 91 tune.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok, so I cleared the Roto tune and reinstalled 91 Perf. IMHO the car runs better and my LTFTs have gone from 8.6 down to almost zero. Before doing this I did check the clamps and did clean the MAF but still a little funky running with the Roto tune.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Doesn't SC have a catback exhaust tune? I just logged in and didn't see it anywhere. - I had no problems before when downloading my Vararam tune.

....ooops, tried to update my address in the software and ended up somehow getting locked out....can't log back in now. Guess I'll have to call tech support anyway. Grrrr!!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've noticed my Volant 87 tune knocks a little at tip-in, so I'm going to try a tank of 89 and see if the situation improves.
I don't like knock.
Bill

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm sure this has been asked, but I couldn't find it when I just searched:

Is there a specific tune for the Vararam? My listed tunes on my Cortex are 91 performance, 93 performance, etc. Nothing specific for my Vararam intake. Maybe it doesn't exist...?

Thanks.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
I'm sure this has been asked, but I couldn't find it when I just searched:

Is there a specific tune for the Vararam? My listed tunes on my Cortex are 91 performance, 93 performance, etc. Nothing specific for my Vararam intake. Maybe it doesn't exist...?

Thanks.
After you initially tune your G8, you will need to log back onto the Superchips updater to see the CAI spec tunes available.

Tune car, update, tune car again, do a safe burnout, and have a great weekend!

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
I've noticed my Volant 87 tune knocks a little at tip-in, so I'm going to try a tank of 89 and see if the situation improves.
I don't like knock.
Bill
Yup, as per our manual, if you hear knock with 87, up the octane :judge:

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #315

This was with the 87 Rotofab tune and using 91 octane fuel. No other mods other than Cortex tune and Rotofab CAI.
That is impressive!

The closest numbers I've seen was 27.8 mpg average on my way to the beach. Granted it was mostly all down hill, but my car was loaded with passengers and a trunk full of luggage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
After you initially tune your G8, you will need to log back onto the Superchips updater to see the CAI spec tunes available.

Tune car, update, tune car again, do a safe burnout, and have a great weekend!
Thanks.

Now I may be a bit on the thick-skulled side from time to time, but this Cortex doesn't seem to be giving me the options that I think it should. (and the superchips forum doesn't like my account yet, so I can't post there)

I did put the 91 performance tune onto my G8. No problems there.

Here's a screenie of Cortex web update screen:

There's no Vararam CAI tune to purchase, and it seems to think that I've got two differnt (but very similarly named) tunes on my tuner.
But on my tuner, I have no CAI tunes available:

I did buy this tuner used....so maybe it's getting confused between some previous tunes that are not available for my car??
I'll keep trying to get someone at superchips to unlock my forum account so I can ask the question there too. Thanks!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yes.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
There's no Vararam CAI tune to purchase, and it seems to think that I've got two differnt (but very similarly named) tunes on my tuner.
But on my tuner, I have no CAI tunes available:

I did buy this tuner used....so maybe it's getting confused between some previous tunes that are not available for my car??
I'll keep trying to get someone at superchips to unlock my forum account so I can ask the question there too. Thanks!
They may not have a Vararam CAI tune available. Call them to confirm tho.

Side note, I've never seen Stock W/Options as a option....I may need to update.

301 - 320 of 380 Posts