Pontiac G8 Forum banner

361 - 380 of 380 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
I know the lambda sensors are useless for afr. I want the cats just dont wanna melt a piston doin it. Wife already thinks its unpractical so gotta do alittle at a time so if I got the cats I dont know how long it would be between cats and dyno tune lol I heard the commanded afr by superchips on the 91 tune is 12.6ish and stock is pig rich so if I log this and feel its lean I guess id just use the stock tune till it sees a wideband ?
There's a good chance that you would be able to run it that way safely for a while. Also you wouldn't have to have a dyno tune. You could get a remote tune and although it isn't any cheaper than a dyno tune it may be better for you since you are just looking to do one piece at a time since you get free retunes with those.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
guys this thread is a little long and some of it might be dated.

Want to verify that the 91 vararam tune is still best for my 09 with a vararam. I also have a corsa catback, is there an option for that? just got my cortex yesterday and haven't played with her yet. thanks.

·
The Natural.
82 Posts
Just got SC cortex 2950

I just purchased this unit from another member, under car information it says the stock tune has been put back on the car meaning the tuner is "unlocked" correct? Also does matter that the cortex is regestered to another vin?is there anyway to just wipe the tuner clean and reregister it or was that just for powertrain warranty? And last but not least do I have to tune my car first then hook it back up to my computer (spark) to get the AFE Cai tunes??? I called superchips and the tech told me he didnt recommend the tunes for cai gm vehicles because they run too lean??? Odd he would say that.

Sorry for all the noob Q but im kinda still in the dark thanks:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cortex tune and California smog test

Cortex doesn't claim the their tune can pass California smog checks.

Has anyone left the Cortex tune on for the smog test, and passed?

·
Registered
74 Posts
It takes time to replace the tune, as well as time to drive the car to reset the computer. But, mostly I worry that some thing could go wrong during the tune unload, and follow up reload.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just ordered a Superchips F5 Flashpaq 2845 tuner. So i do not have it yet, its on it's way, but i have a question. Does it have a 91 VCM (cai) setting?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I confess, I did not read thru all 367 posts so I apologize if this has been asked and answered before. I'm about to receive a Superchips Cortex 2950 and have a Spectre CAI, which is a rebranded K&N Typhoon. Is there a tune in the Cortex for these CAI's? If not is one of the CAI tunes that is in already compatible enough to utilize? Thanks.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I think they might have a K+N tune....I think. They have 4 or 5, but I can't remember all of them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
There is still no CAI tunes available for the Sherchips F5. And they will not answer my email, guess its time for a phone call!

·
Registered
538 Posts
There is still no CAI tunes available for the Sherchips F5. And they will not answer my email, guess its time for a phone call!
I'm not sure what you're saying there: what is a Sherchips F5? I have a Superchips Cortex 2905; are there CAI tunes for that version?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Superchips F5 Flashpaq 2845 is the new version of the Cortex 2950, if you go to Superchips site they did not even offer the Cortex 2950 for the G8.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm not sure what you're saying there: what is a Sherchips F5? I have a Superchips Cortex 2905; are there CAI tunes for that version?
I'm a noob when it comes to this aspect of things so I'm certainly not in any way disputing what you're saying. But haven't plenty of G8 people utilized a Cortex 2950 to tune their G8's? And does that model have CAI tunes available for several of the more popular CAI brands? Seems like I read somewhere along the line that it did.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Cortex 2950 has all the CAI tunes, its the new version of the Cortex 2950 (Superchips F5 Flashpaq 2845) that does not have any CAI tunes.

·
Registered
538 Posts
OK, that's good for me at least since I have the 2950 but I guess it just makes me wonder why a newer version would not have CAI tunes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
They told me that they should have CAI tunes by the end of January, but here we are in March and still not CAI tunes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just got SC cortex 2950

I just purchased this unit from another member, under car information it says the stock tune has been put back on the car meaning the tuner is "unlocked" correct? Also does matter that the cortex is regestered to another vin?is there anyway to just wipe the tuner clean and reregister it or was that just for powertrain warranty? And last but not least do I have to tune my car first then hook it back up to my computer (spark) to get the AFE Cai tunes??? I called superchips and the tech told me he didnt recommend the tunes for cai gm vehicles because they run too lean??? Odd he would say that.

Sorry for all the noob Q but im kinda still in the dark thanks:)

I also have AFE magnum 5R oiled cai and was wondering If the superchips tune for CAI made a noticeable difference..also the shift points does it chirp 2nd gear at 25% or 50%short point tune?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I also have AFE magnum 5R oiled cai and was wondering If the superchips tune for CAI made a noticeable difference..also the shift points does it chirp 2nd gear at 25% or 50%short point tune?
wow this is an oldy. I have a varram and will say that the intake specific tune is not the reason to go superchips, it's all the other stuff with shifting and tuning that make the difference. It is by far, bang for bang the best HP thing you can do for you G8 even without an intake. But at the same time, it's silly to not also put an intake in, if not for anything but to really be able to finally hear the v8.

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
453 Posts
I must not have said the right thing. I called SuperChip support today to inquire about a tune for my newly installed CAE, to install with my 2950. Support guy got some info from me, commented that my 2950 was “really old”, and asked if I had a CEL. When I said I didn’t, he said that I probably didn’t need a tune, but if I got one to call back, and they’d put something together for me. “Something” was some sort of discount off a new tuner

361 - 380 of 380 Posts