Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done with Tire Rack's One Lap of America. I am the first and only G8 in history to have finished this grueling event. Managed to place 60th overall but survived. After doing this, the G8 certainly has some weak points on the track that most won't ever find out. The stock brakes will not hold up. Flat out, they just won't. Next year I'll be upgrading to at least 4 piston calipers. The oil and trans also got way hot on the longer straight tracks. But overall, the engine didn't really miss a beat. Till next year.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try again in a year or two for a better finish.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Just got done with Tire Rack's One Lap of America. I am the first and only G8 in history to have finished this grueling event. Managed to place 60th overall but survived. After doing this, the G8 certainly has some weak points on the track that most won't ever find out. The stock brakes will not hold up. Flat out, they just won't. Next year I'll be upgrading to at least 4 piston calipers. The oil and trans also got way hot on the longer straight tracks. But overall, the engine didn't really miss a beat. Till next year.
Go 6 piston up front and 4 piston out back be done with it.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
probably won't clear the wheels I have on the car

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to the drivers...one of whom was a dodge engineer. They did it as a marketing gimmick to maybe show cops dodge can make police suv's like the explorer. I transited with them several days, and you wouldn't believe how many people would get up, see the stickers and light bar and just assume cop then go 5 under the limit.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Both Road America and Blackhawk Farms would be quite rough on the G8 and definitely bring out the weak brakes.
Some interesting cars that participated as well.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Google Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then Google Video is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Both Road America and Blackhawk Farms would be quite rough on the G8 and definitely bring out the weak brakes.
Some interesting cars that participated as well.
so we cooked our pads the first track day. Weren't able to get new high temp ones until brainerd. So we bought duralast golds for road america which did alright all things considered. It was in the rain though so it did slow cars down a little.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I suspect the weak spot in the brakes would be not the calipers but the pads compound and cooling. I would go with Hawk DTC70, and would try to fit the 3" brake ducts, maybe two on each side if you can make them fit, maybe with active blowers (I've previously used 4" blowers, then narrowing into 3" ducts but I'm not so sure that they were very effective, they seemed slightly useful but not hugely so).

The stock brake pads on GXP are actually not that bad, and I suspect would last a couple of 15-minute sessions (not a race though). I haven't tried driving G8 on the track, my actual track experience is with the older Camaro and Mustang, which are lighter cars, with less power. The Hawk HP+ autocross pads mostly lasted a lapping day on Camaro, tending to start melting in the 4th session of the warmer days.

I've tried Cabotech (I think it was their 11th-grade compound or some such) and DTC70 on Mustang, with brake ducts. And once just the street pads from NAPA, when I had no time to get anything better. The NAPA pads lasted about 10 minutes of practice. Both Carbotech and DTC70 lasted multiple sprint race days, with the difference being that DTC70 works right away (and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on the street), while Carbotech requires a lot of heat to work, so I was spending the warm-up lap and first half of the first race lap warming up the brakes. Carbotech works great on the light cars (I used it on Mazda-323 too) with softer compounds but takes a long time to warm up on the heavier cars with harder compounds, and I definitely wouldn't want to use it on the street.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts