Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Administrator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

There is hope, be it ever so slight, that the Pontiac G8 may live on even though the brand it's attached to is most certainly slated for elimination.

"I know there's still discussions on it," GM's product boss Tom Stephens told Automotive News, giving some hope to the legions of G8 fans that haven't had anything to get excited about since the fourth generation Firebird came out in 1993.

Stephens did add, however, that as Chevrolet already has several sedans, another one wasn't really necessary.

The G8 could work as a high-performance SS version of the Impala, or even as the basis of a Buick vehicle - although that seems highly unlikely. And unfortunately for G8 fans, GM already has an excellent rear wheel drive platform that underpins the Cadillac CTS.

Still, the sun hasn/t quite set on the G8 and there's plenty that can happen between now and the end of 2010 when Pontiac is scheduled to be scuttled.

GM has continued to insist that the Pontiac brand isn't for sale and that it will be eliminated as a part of its Viability Plan. While the brand as a whole has struggled significantly in recent years, the G8 has been a success, with high sales and rave reviews from journalists. This has prompted some to speculate that the closing of Pontiac (a brand known for performance) may be more of a political decision than an economic one.

More: There's Still Hope for the Pontiac G8 on AutoGuide.com

·
I chase paper!!!
1,130 Posts
Yay!!! I have hope again!!!

I'm loyal to Pontiac. Count me as one hoping they don't rebadge it as a Chevy or Buick.
I only dont want them to do it because im terribly in love with pontiac's red lighted interior.

Strange reason, i know...

His statements only sound hopeful when taken out of context. The rest of his statement more or less says "but it won't happen".
I think it'd be a great start for a top level Buick, or even as a new generation STS (or better yet both ala DTA/Lucerne), but "the powers that be" probably don't want it to happen.
Yes, that pretty obvious. Please dont ruin the moment...:(

·
Registered
63 Posts
I hope they don't do it. I would like to keep the integrity of my G8 as it is and not see it rebadged as something else. Plus it couldn't get here fast enough because the body has only 3yrs left and it would take at least one year to get it to market. Let it die and we few owners get piece of mind knowing that what we have is truly something special.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Be interesting to see if that would increase the resale value. Buick would probably be a toss-up, whereas I think a rebadge to Chevy would increase the resale. :wink2::pir_flag:

·
2009 G8 GXP
448 Posts
I hope they don't do it. I would like to keep the integrity of my G8 as it is and not see it rebadged as something else. Plus it couldn't get here fast enough because the body has only 3yrs left and it would take at least one year to get it to market. Let it die and we few owners get piece of mind knowing that what we have is truly something special.
I partially agree with you on this, but can't agree 100%.

Anybody remember the mid-late 70's? When government motors starts building cars, all you will have is little gerbil on the wheel power, you will be dying for a 250 hp car, that may just barely hit the quarter in 15.99 seconds, and if the only car out there that gets my blood moving is a 250 hp G8, then I don't care what it's called.

Here is the future base engine on a new government motors car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is no hope. The G8 is done - Pontiac is done - and the rest of GM might be done within the next few years. Even if they tranferred it over to Chev and Buick it would likely look very ordinary and not have it's current aggressive looks.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
There is no hope. The G8 is done - Pontiac is done - and the rest of GM might be done within the next few years. Even if they tranferred it over to Chev and Buick it would likely look very ordinary and not have it's current aggressive looks.
Where do you get the GM is done within the next few years??

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm a die hard Pontiac fan. I've only owned Pontiac vehicles since I've learned to drive. But since the word Pontiac is going away it's hard for me to see this vehicle as anything else. Pontiac means "Excitement", "Aggressive" seeing this vehicle as anything else will be just an ordinary car and lack pure muscle we all came to love.

·
I chase paper!!!
1,130 Posts
I'm a die hard Pontiac fan. I've only owned Pontiac vehicles since I've learned to drive. But since the word Pontiac is going away it's hard for me to see this vehicle as anything else. Pontiac means "Excitement", "Aggressive" seeing this vehicle as anything else will be just an ordinary car and lack pure muscle we all came to love.
Muscle is muscle. It wouldnt matter if this car ends up under saturn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Where do you get the GM is done within the next few years??

Even with this bailout consumers still maynot run over to buy GM products. I'm keeping my Grand Prix GT for another year - only have 53,000 km on it. When its time to buy a new ride this time next year GM is looking dismal. Boring looking Chevs, pricey Cadillac's - and never mind about GMC or Buick. Ontop of that, the nearest GM dealer will be almost an hour drive away after all the dealership closures take place. I might take a look at the Camaro, but I've never been a big fan of coups.

I hope GM can come back, but its doubtful I'm going to be around for the ride. Even after the restructing it won't stop most consumers running over to Honda, Toyota and other asian brands. GM will still be burdened from legacy costs and many auto industry analysts believe that non of this restructing will work.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Just let it be. I like the car as unique, two-year Pontiac swan song and that would be somewhat tarnished if it shows up at Chevrolet at this point.

From everything I've read and heard the car had razor-thin to nonexistent profit margins anyway so selling it as something else doesn't seem to make much sense.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Just let it be. I like the car as unique, two-year Pontiac swan song and that would be somewhat tarnished if it shows up at Chevrolet at this point.

From everything I've read and heard the car had razor-thin to nonexistent profit margins anyway so selling it as something else doesn't seem to make much sense.
You don't think if they put a bow tie on it, and advertised it in a manner it deserves, that they couldn't sell the piss out of it? As a cousin to the Camaro and Corvette, I don't think there were be a doubt it would sell real well!:wink2::pir_flag:

·
I chase paper!!!
1,130 Posts
You don't think if they put a bow tie on it, and advertised it in a manner it deserves, that they couldn't sell the piss out of it? As a cousin to the Camaro and Corvette, I don't think there were be a doubt it would sell real well!:wink2::pir_flag:
Despite what everyone thinks, if GM does whats said in your post, it will selll well, if not much better than the G8 at least. I dont get why people are steadily saying that it wont make any sense to badge a car such as this under chevy because it wouldnt survive.....HELLO!!! WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! Have you seen Dodge's lineup!?!?!? Ever seen that big car called the Charger!?!?!?:slap:

Bring it to Chevy and call it the Impala, Lumina(i dont give a damn what the name lumina brings to mind), or some other name like Nova.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The way the dollar is headed, a Buick price point might be required to make it worth importing.

·
Master Sheep Hurdler
1,611 Posts
1 - 20 of 188 Posts