Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
F1rehawk
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, haven't started a thread in a little while.

So a good friend of mine collects and flips vehicles and brings all of them to get repainted at this older man who paints them in a booth and all. He has been doing paint jobs for a really long time and charges low vs body shops. Apparently he just really enjoys doing it and doesn't care about the money.

He is however 72 and I think this would be a good time before he thinks about retiring for good.

My G8 is a 2009 SRM. It is a garage queen but the paint is still showing little signs of age. I debadged it and found out the driver fender has been repainted from factory and now the coat is peeling a bit. There is a scuff marks on the lower panel on the passenger side that I did my best to cover with compound and chip paint but it still shows a bit. Other than that minor scratches here and there.

So considering that the car is almost 10 years old. Considering the fact that red is a paint in the ass to maintain and keep clean. Considering the fact that I don't care about resale since I will keep this car. Would you go for a paint job? I really like Gunship Grey. Thought about blue as well but I would probably get bored. I like matte as well but wonder how hard it is to maintain and if clear coat is actually applied.

Not a lot of custom painted G8 around.

What are your suggestions?

·
every village has one
2,166 Posts
Just a heads up, but a color change the right way is a bitch. If you’re extremely picky and the car is a garage queen like you say, you could be in for a disappointment.

·
F1rehawk
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a heads up, but a color change the right way is a bitch. If you’re extremely picky and the car is a garage queen like you say, you could be in for a disappointment.
Care to elaborate?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think what he is getting at is all the hidden areas that #1 will remain the original color or #2 be a time consuming PITA to paint.

IE: Door jambs, under side of the deck lid & hood etc. If not repainted every time you open the door pop the trunk lift the hood you'll see the original paint. Just my guess.

·
every village has one
2,166 Posts
It’s not as easy as removing exterior moldings, etc and masking off. To do it right doors, hood and trunk need to be removed and disassembled to a degree. Hinges, etc., need to be cleaned and prepped so that you get coverage in areas that you see. You’ll notice the imperfections every time you look. Need to remove interior trim, door sills, weatherstrip, etc. hopefully you won’t break clips or anything like that. If paint defects bother you, you can redo in stock color.
Whenever you make a color change, you risk compromising the resale value even if you
change stock color options. Custom paint is even worse. Painting to what you like may be
fine for you, but cuts down on the number of prospective buyers.
Not trying to discourage you from improving your paint, but IMO, leave it the color it is.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I've just had my hood replaced and repainted. Just the hood. And it was 3 weeks of hell for the body shop that did it. They came across a few set backs. One being my hood liner. Its dried out from over the years and the said it was cracking when they tried to remove it. And big warning! They dont make nor could I find another hood liner ANYWHERE. not one dealer or used car parts place or independent seller. So they had to gingerly remove it and put it on the new hood. So that's just one example of the headaches you may run into. Another may be hood scoops. Another pricey item if broken. Find someone very reputable. Go to some custom car shows and get some names. It's hard to get a person to get it right. It will be expensive but if shes a keeper. Then I say it's worth it. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
So something like Destroyer Gray on the new Charger/Challenger?
Is a cool color, looks like the paint is still wet....
There's another sports car, either a Nissan or Mazda????? something Asian....has the same idea/look....if you touched it your hand would sink in up to the wrist....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts