Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the 19" inch sports package and I'm thinking about painting my wheels. I'm thinking about going black. Paint everything black except the surface face of the 5 spokes. The sides of the spokes will be black too. Only thing that won't be painted is the spoke surface. What do y'all think about that? Has anyone done this? I would like to see what it looks like before I do this.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try that plasti-dip. thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That is the exact same thing I would like to do!!

I was getting one of my rims straightened and had it priced at $125 per wheel at a wheel repair shop. This includes wheel straightening, repair any curb rash, and paint. Much cheaper than buying aftermarket!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here's a photo edit of the two designs. I like the front wheel better. Im gonna go for it.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Do it!

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
Dipyourcar.com

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I tried to it just would not turn out correct. Tape was half way sticking (rims had been cleaned), and where it did stick good, when I pulled it off the rubber come off too. The edges would not clean so I went with plan-B and I like it too so Im happy. I thought about getting a razor and cutting out the star of the rim, but I would have the same problem. The thick edge of the plasti-drip sooner or later get peeled back and the finish would be ruined. So all black it is.

the original plan (will need to use real paint to do this design)

Plan-B

turned out nice.

·
Go fast grocery getter
610 Posts
Looks good. I just got done Plasti-Dipping my stock 18s. I'll post pics after I get them mounted up tonight. Pretty happy with how they turned out after I got the hang of spraying that stuff. Anxious to see how they wear, as I daily drive about 60 miles to and from work.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Looks good. I just got done Plasti-Dipping my stock 18s. I'll post pics after I get them mounted up tonight. Pretty happy with how they turned out after I got the hang of spraying that stuff. Anxious to see how they wear, as I daily drive about 60 miles to and from work.
Cant wait for you to post up. I am thinking about doing my 18s as well.

OP, props for giving it a try. It would look good if you do end up having them professionally done to your first design.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cant wait for you to post up. I am thinking about doing my 18s as well.

OP, props for giving it a try. It would look good if you do end up having them professionally done to your first design.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Thanks and yeah I hate that 1st one didn't turn out right. That was a nice look.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
203 Posts
It could work but u need to use a blue fine line tape. If u were to sand the area being painted it would stick better aslo. i was thinking of doing this also. I would not use plasti-dip. I would use actual automotive paint. For the tape to stick it is also very important to make sure u use some sort of degreaser on the wheels. You had bleed through with the tape you were using (hence the jagged lines.)

·
Go fast grocery getter
610 Posts
Here ya go. Not the best pic, but its late and the best I could do. Will grab some better ones tomorrow if its not raining.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nice job man. They look good. The finish look of this plasti-drip is flawless. No bumps, no runs, it looks like it was done at a shop. Oh and yes there was some spots where the rubber went under the tape but that could have been cleaned off. The big issue was when the tape was been peeled off. The rubber on the tape and the rubber on the rim was one piece, so when the tape was peeled off, it also peeled rubber from the rim too. So I couldn't see a way around that other than painting the whole rim.

·
Big D
333 Posts
When I was doing my engine cover after I sprayed it I went to take off the tape, as I was trying to get the V8 to be in red like the sides, but since I didn't peel it off fast enough it all came of as one piece. So I cleaned it off and will have to try again some other time this week or next weekend.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The key to using plasti-dip and tape together is to peel the tape off while the plasti-dip is still wet. I usually let it dry about 5 minutes on the last coat and then peel it off.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Been waiting for someone to post a picture with them painted like that. I know what I will be doing before I put my wheels back on

Lol, just remember who started it all. But yeah, I guess I'll let you borrow my design. We'll all one big G8 family, lol. And good luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts