Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after all the trouble i have had in the past week, my issues have still not been fixed by the dealers ive visited. The issue only pops up after about 1.5 hours of constant driving. I lose all power and it sputters horribly after about 2k rpms. Today it completely shut the engine down. The codes it spits out say that every cylinder is running lean. The MAF has been changed and the injectors have been flushed.

Listen for the bang around :06 seconds.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Damn that sucks ,hope they get it worked out for yuh.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what I might be thinking. The last dealership told me that the next step was a top end teardown to search for a vacuum leak. If it was a clogged filter, wouldnt it be that way 24/7 and not after a long drive to make the symptoms show up?

·
Registered
70 Posts
They should never have to tear down the engine to search for a vacuum leak. They can just use a smoke machine to induce smoke to spot any leaks. To test the MAF, next time it starts acting up, unplug the MAF sensor and see if it clears up.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Could also be a bad TPS

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
If it runs fine for over an hour, then fails catastrophically, then you can start it again later and it runs again for over an hour, I have a hard time believing that it's a mechanical failure. Seems computer related. At least they are working with you.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
This may be a long shot but have you checked to see if the catylast has broken loose in the convertors? My dad had this same type of issue with a truck and the convertors was broken loose and if the catylast got shifted around just right it would spit and sputter and pop and eventually shut the engine down. No one could find the problem until we cut the convertors off. Just wanted to throw this out there. I hope you get it fixed.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it runs fine for over an hour, then fails catastrophically, then you can start it again later and it runs again for over an hour, I have a hard time believing that it's a mechanical failure. Seems computer related. At least they are working with you.
Pretty much, I started it this morning before the dealer opened (left it in the lot) and it was perfectly fine.. I just want my car back. I bought this thing with 46k miles on it thinking it would be more reliable than my 99 Trans am... So far the t/a never broke down on me where as this is on its 4th time in one week.

This may be a long shot but have you checked to see if the catylast has broken loose in the convertors? My dad had this same type of issue with a truck and the convertors was broken loose and if the catylast got shifted around just right it would spit and sputter and pop and eventually shut the engine down. No one could find the problem until we cut the convertors off. Just wanted to throw this out there. I hope you get it fixed.
Honestly, Im leaving it to the dealer based off of the powertrain warranty and the fact that they say its fixed. I also dont have much time to do much investigating

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
It may also be the fuel pump. Try to rent a fuel pressure gauge and check it when I acts up. The pump is a electric motor (duh!) and may be failing only when It is run for a while and heats up. The after sitting for a while in cools down and works again.

Just a theory but may be worth a shot. Most auto parts stores rent the fuel pressure gauge.

Good luck

·
Registered
528 Posts
Vacuum leak...? Has the dealer even checked your fuel system out?

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
Since they are working for you, and you have time to let them, sit back and enjoy the free coffee.
Just do not accept it if it's not right. Dealers have a long history of stringing problems along until the warranty expires.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im finally home and going to the dealer i trust. They took the car out and drove 117 miles without it acting up. They asked if they could keep it and give it a try tomorrow and I agreed. I hate when things dont work for me but they are fine when others are using them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts