Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. I'm starting to wonder if my sensor is bad, Car sat in a 70 degree underground garage all day, and the IAT read 95 degrees before even starting the car... wtf?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Mine's the same. About 20 over ambient when cruising and seems warm at startup. I think it's just the type of sensor Magnusson uses. Just make sure your timing vs. IAT table can take that into account and not unnecessarily pull timing.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine's the same. About 20 over ambient when cruising and seems warm at startup. I think it's just the type of sensor Magnusson uses. Just make sure your timing vs. IAT table can take that into account and not unnecessarily pull timing.
I'm about to just change my torque gauge to subtract 15 from what ever the damned reading is :drink:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I'm about to just change my torque gauge to subtract 15 from what ever the damned reading is :drink:
Personally, I'd just leave it as is. At least that way you know what's being considered in the ECM calculations, including timing pulls. Alternatively, if you have access to a tuner, you could calibrate the IAT sensor readings.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally, I'd just leave it as is. At least that way you know what's being considered in the ECM calculations, including timing pulls. Alternatively, if you have access to a tuner, you could calibrate the IAT sensor readings.
Hell I didn't even notice this table. I'll look at doing this, thanks!

·
Registered
843 Posts
With the Magnuson the IAT sensor was moved from the intake tube to inside the manifold after the blower. This was done to allow the engine to compensate for the heat increase caused by the air charge being compressed by the blower.

But it does result in higher than ambient temps being reported. Just because the number is higher isn't a problem if the associated tables that use IAT in the timing and fueling calculations have been adjusted to compensate.

And your engine will stay warm most of the day after having driven in the morning keeping the sensor toasty.. But again this is the temp of the air going into the cylinder and better reflects what is actually going on.

If you change what temp is being reported to a lower number you will not know what that charged airs temp truly is going into those cylinders.. And that is important to now in boosted applications, it will probably be the first thing to alert you that the intercooler pump has stopped working...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the Magnuson the IAT sensor was moved from the intake tube to inside the manifold after the blower. This was done to allow the engine to compensate for the heat increase caused by the air charge being compressed by the blower.

But it does result in higher than ambient temps being reported. Just because the number is higher isn't a problem if the associated tables that use IAT in the timing and fueling calculations have been adjusted to compensate.

And your engine will stay warm most of the day after having driven in the morning keeping the sensor toasty.. But again this is the temp of the air going into the cylinder and better reflects what is actually going on.

If you change what temp is being reported to a lower number you will not know what that charged airs temp truly is going into those cylinders.. And that is important to now in boosted applications, it will probably be the first thing to alert you that the intercooler pump has stopped working...
I'm not talking about stopping the car for an hour or 2 and leaving it in the sun, it was sitting for 10 hours in an underground car park that was 70 degrees, no way that any piece of metal on that car was still warm, and when I turned the key on without starting it the sensor still read 95 degrees.

I'm going to pull the sensor out and get some readings from it and re calibrate the tables.

How ever, I'd still like to see what others are seeing for IATs :driving:

·
Registered
708 Posts

I'm not talking about stopping the car for an hour or 2 and leaving it in the sun, it was sitting for 10 hours in an underground car park that was 70 degrees, no way that any piece of metal on that car was still warm, and when I turned the key on without starting it the sensor still read 95 degrees.

I'm going to pull the sensor out and get some readings from it and re calibrate the tables.

How ever, I'd still like to see what others are seeing for IATs /forums/images/smilies/driving.gif
Sorry to ressurect a VERY old thread, but im having IAT issues and through my searching I stumbled upon this.

My IATs are consistently 60° above ambient while cruising around town and on slow highways.

My IATs drop to about 20° above ambient while on the highway at about 75mph.

However I will add that the readings youre getting while the car has been sitting are not out of the ordinary. Mine will still read in the 90s even when its been sitting all night in 60-70 degree weather.

Anyone else have input on typical IATs while driving around town?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts