Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Did you switch the crossover tube with the bleeders on your rear CTS-V calipers?

• Yes, I swapped the crossover for the bleeders.

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • No, I flipped the calipers from left to right.

Votes: 7 35.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who swapped the crossover tube and bleeders from top to bottom on their rear caliper swap?

Again, this is for those of use that used CTS-V calipers...NOT CAMARO CALIPERS.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Yes I swapped mine.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm glad this is being brought up in a separate thread than the sticky. I have not done mine yet as the weather is still crappy out and I havn't switched to my summer wheels and brakes. But I will swap my tubes and bleeders around now that this has been brought up. To be clear this is only needed on the rear CTSV swap and not the fronts. The fronts are a direct fit with no mod. Looking closer at the rear V calipers the pistons are different sizes. So according to the Brembo website it is needed to have them in the correct order according to the rotor direction. Mods please put this info in the sticky at the top along with the part number information as it is important to doing the brake job correctly.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I brought this up over on the Camaro5 Forum. Starting at post #263. Originally JusticePete responded with the leading piston being the larger piston, and he later revised his post. I went in and revised my post that quoted him.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3727166#post3727166

You need to swap them to have the smaller piston as the leading piston, and have the bleeders on the upper side of the caliper for bleeding purposes.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The calipers are supposed to stay on the same side (left or right) of the car that they would be on with the V. When you move the caliper from behind the axle (CTS-V) to the front (G8), that puts the tube on the top and the bleeders on the bottom. This would make it very difficult, if not impossible, to properly bleed the brakes. Hence the need to swap the crossover tube from the top to the bottom with the bleeders then on top.

I don't believe I explained it in the simplest way possible but hopefully it gets the point across.

So one needs to swap the crossover tubes left to right and not the calipers ??

Just wanted to confirm since there is a voting going on...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone know of any corrosion/chemical resistant thread sealer out there that we could use to prevent potential leaks after the swap?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
yep the threads dont do the seal its the tapered flare fitting at the end of the tube.

i guess ill have to swap the tubes but it makes me sad to have to break the brand new yellow paint on them

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know! I'm sure my PC Co. will be happy to see me again though...dammit!

yep the threads dont do the seal its the tapered flare fitting at the end of the tube.

i guess ill have to swap the tubes but it makes me sad to have to break the brand new yellow paint on them

·
Registered
716 Posts
I did not know this thanks op for opening this thread..

·
Registered
319 Posts
I didn't swap mine. Mine came with bleeders on top and cross over tubes on bottom/

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I will have to check this. I didn't even look at them, just put them on the car with the tube at the bottom and bleeders at the top. Mine might be on the wrong side, but they seem to work really well.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I guess it's not an issue if they are gonna work fine. It's an issue with pad wear over time. The brakes will work and feel just fine. But... To be 100% right the tubes need to be swapped along with bleeders. You can run them for years I'm sure without issues besides uneven pad wear.

Sent from my fresh lubed iPhone

·
Chevrolet Performance Par
711 Posts
I know that when a certain company sells a caliper kit that is being shipped to Mike the powder coater that company or Mike swaps the tubes before coating so they look OEM.

So if you've had your calipers done by Mike you might not need to swap your lines.
-Greg

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As 08G8V8 stated earlier, the only way to check is to see if the smaller piston is on top (if I understood your wording correctly). Brembo site says there's a little arrow somewhere on them to indicate direction of travel but I could'nt find that on mine.

You need to swap them to have the smaller piston as the leading piston, and have the bleeders on the upper side of the caliper for bleeding purposes.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Not exactly. This is the picture I posted on the Camaro thread I linked to above.

The wheel on the LEFT, is the CTS-V caliper on the drivers rear of the CTS-V, which is on the forward side of the axle. With the rotor rotation as shown, the SMALLER piston is in the leading position and contacts the rotor first. This smaller piston is on the side of the caliper with the bleeders.

Now, the wheel on the RIGHT, is taking that same caliper on the same side of the vehicle and rotating it to the rear of the axle, like it would be on the G8. Now, with rotor rotation still in the same direction, the smaller piston is still in the leading position, but is on the bottom of the caliper and the bleeders are now pointing down.

So, the bleeders and crossover tube need to be swapped.

Attachments

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've had mine on for nearly a year and a half and don't know how I missed this. I looked at mine today and the bleeders are on top. Does that mean I have the pistons in the wrong order?

I got 'em new from a guy on the board and just kept the oem Cts v paint so I'm sure nothing was swapped from their oem location. Not sure I can see the piston arrangement without pulling the pads out?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unless the previous owner already swapped the crossover, yours will be "wrong."

You can't tell unless, as you said, you pull the pads out to see if the smaller piston is on the leading edge when the car is moving forward.

I've had mine on for nearly a year and a half and don't know how I missed this. I looked at mine today and the bleeders are on top. Does that mean I have the pistons in the wrong order?

I got 'em new from a guy on the board and just kept the oem Cts v paint so I'm sure nothing was swapped from their oem location. Not sure I can see the piston arrangement without pulling the pads out?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts