Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going out to grab coffee after my work had installed my winter setup (yes, its right around the corner guys). Tried to remote start as always, didn't start. Tried again, much fail. Hopped in and fired her up, got the CEL. Started up fine. Ran fine. Read the code(s), gave me back P0336 (Crank Position Sensor) on my autocal. I proceeded to run my OnStar OVD, they came back with an ignition related problem, for which I should see service for in less than a day.

Brought it back here, informed my tech, he rolled her in and hooked up to it, and was going to do a re-learn on the CPS. The CEL was gone (of course), but he could still read the code.

I contacted Pat G, he agreed that it was an unusual code, and that these sensors don't usually go. My tech checked the wiring, all seemed fine. I would like to reiterate that the vehicle ran fine, and did not fall into I Suck Mode.

Anybody experienced this?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump.

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
I can't remember reading anything about one of those sensors ever going bad. They say to verify that the condition and routing of that wiring and connector going to that sensor, has not been compromised. Such as added wiring routed in close proximity to the CKP wiring, which might cause some type of interference signal that could leak into that CKP wiring. Even thou I can't find any info that says it's possible to get that code *without* falling into the limp home mode, your car has proven that it can happen. If it becomes chronic, you may *have* to buy and install a new sensor to eliminate any chance of that sensor sending out an intermittent signal. I'm sure it's possible for a sensor to function correctly most of the time, and still lose it's way for short periods of time (which is all it takes to set that code).

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't remember reading anything about one of those sensors ever going bad. They say to verify that the condition and routing of that wiring and connector going to that sensor, has not been compromised. Such as added wiring routed in close proximity to the CKP wiring, which might cause some type of interference signal that could leak into that CKP wiring. Even thou I can't find any info that says it's possible to get that code *without* falling into the limp home mode, your car has proven that it can happen. If it becomes chronic, you may *have* to buy and install a new sensor to eliminate any chance of that sensor sending out an intermittent signal. I'm sure it's possible for a sensor to function correctly most of the time, and still lose it's way for short periods of time (which is all it takes to set that code).
Thanks for the reply.

All wiring was inspected and found to be just fine. The CEL was gone like I said on next startup. I found a thread on here that stated it would throw the code because of delta from "normal" revolutions both higher and lower by 3 revolutions. I'm just going to chalk it up to "meh" for now. If I get a repeat, I will replace the sensor hoping that cures the issue. If it doesn't, I guess I have a more serious issue and will deal with it then... Hello forged bottom end!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is old but anything ever change? My car check engine light came on while driving,car stayed running fine all the way home(20 min drive). Got in the next muring no more warning or anything. Checked codes few days later and this is the only code.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Vincent Venezia
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing