Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car to a kwik kar lube and tune for an oil change and cleaning of the air filter. About 30 miles after leaving this place my car starts to shake pretty bad so I pulled over. As soon as I pull over my check engine light comes on and power reducing mode came on. Now I'm not able to drive over 20 mph and rpm's won't go any higher than 1500. I was able to coast to another repair shop. At this repair shop they tested the codesand said Iit was related to the throttle body. I find it very strange that my car was running perfectly fine before I had any work done. Is there any way that my throttle body could have been damaged or messed with while they changed the oil or messed with the air filter?

·
Move over >
1,445 Posts
you might check to be sure the clamps are secured on the air filter. and that its still in there. do you know what the codes are exactly? numbers and letters???

BTW I would suggest you change your own oil from now on, Its pretty easy...

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
Took my car to a kwik kar lube and tune for an oil change and cleaning of the air filter. About 30 miles after leaving this place my car starts to shake pretty bad so I pulled over. As soon as I pull over my check engine light comes on and power reducing mode came on. Now I'm not able to drive over 20 mph and rpm's won't go any higher than 1500. I was able to coast to another repair shop. At this repair shop they tested the codesand said Iit was related to the throttle body. I find it very strange that my car was running perfectly fine before I had any work done. Is there any way that my throttle body could have been damaged or messed with while they changed the oil or messed with the air filter?
It sounds like your car went into limp mode. As Ivie said it would help if we knew exactly what the code was. Have you found out anything new since you first posted this?

·
Registered
316 Posts
This EXACT thing happened to me yesterday on my way home. I have:

P2176
P2101
P0638
P2119

They are all throttle body related codes.

I spent some time this morning with a scanner. The Accelerator Pedal Position was reading properly, but the throttle plate was stuck at 24%/

Try this and report back:

Get in the car and hold the enter button (push the scroll button on the left side of the steering wheel in) and turn the key to the on position. You will now be in engineering mode. If you have a message that comes up instead such as low fuel, check engine, etc., then click the button with the picture of a road on it until you get to engineering mode. Scroll through the list and find throttle position or throttle percentage and tell me what value your car says. I believe mine says 26.4% or something but my scan tool says 24%.

Do you also have a clicking sound while just turning the key on?

I have determined that whatever happened in the throttle body is causing the intake timing solenoids on both banks to click when the key is on, engine off. I want to know why that is so I am reading through wiring schematics to see the relation they both have. I do believe the only problem is the throttle body however.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Throttle Body Failure

The following is some information that after a lot of homework I would like to share:

Complaint:

-Check Engine, Safety Mode Active, and Reduced Power messages on the DIC
-Poor acceleration, will not rev over 1500-2000 RPM and engine runs rouge
-Transmission shifts late/firm

DTCs that may set:

P2176 - Minimum throttle position not learned
P2101 - Throttle Actuator Control Motor
P2119 - Throttle Closed Position Performance
P0638 - Throttle Actuator Control System Performance

Cause:

Throttle body actuator motor internally fails. The throttle body defaults by spring force to approximately 25% throttle and cannot change.

Test:

Hook up a compatible scan tool and verify that the Accelerator Pedal Position sensors are changing values. The scan tool will tell you if the two sensors are in agreement.

If they are, the throttle body has failed and must be replaced.

Replacement Parts:

Throttle Body - 12615503 (Supersedes 12618735)
Throttle Body to Intake Manifold Gasket - 12593360

·
Move over >
1,445 Posts
Very good information to have! way to go kg. noticed your sig is still wrong...

·
Registered
316 Posts
It is? I definitely changed it. Weird. I'll check it out when I get home. I don't know what happened to the OP, but I think this will resolve his problem just as it did mine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Move over >
1,445 Posts
^ignore that, I'm an idiot...:damnyou: your sig is right...

Yea i hope the op was able to get his problem fixed... If not im sure your provided info will help someone!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I may be little off topic here but just want to share my experience with everyone.I had the check engine light come on for the 1st time 6 months after I got the car in 2011. Didn't have any power reduction mode though. Took it to the closest GM dealership. They said the TB needed a clean up. About a year after that, in winter, a noise started coming from the engine after turning the car off. which in fact was coming from the TB. about 2 weeks after, check engine light came back. Took the car to another dealership. They did the same thing by cleaning the TB twice. The 3rd time they had to replace the TB because the noise was getting louder and the chekh engine light kept coming back.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
How 's it going azatrum? Cleaned my TB because of oil vapour buildup over time. Positive Crankcase Venting sends oil vapour into your TB. Put a catch can on it... it's easy and you can meet some folks from OGOC to show you on May 24th. Check the Canada section Forum. I'm learning a lot from everyone on the G8 forum.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thank you FMQ for the info. Can you tell me what OGOC stands for? Also didn't know if there was a Canada section forum also. Can you tell me where to find it?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Thank you FMQ for the info. Can you tell me what OGOC stands for? Also didn't know if there was a Canada section forum also. Can you tell me where to find it?
Go to Forum section at the top of the page and drop down through all the headings until you get to the Canada section after all the divisions of the U.S.A. areas. Ontario G8 owners Group has meetup thread for May Long Weeekend. Good people to hang with.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
OGOC means (Ontario G8 Owners Club)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thank you FMQ and Les for the information.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Les, I sure will make it to the meet. In fact I would love to. Do I need to become an OGOC member in order to attend the meet?

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Les, I sure will make it to the meet. In fact I would love to. Do I need to become an OGOC member in order to attend the meet?
You will me a member right away just add your name and details to the OGOC Members thread. then add your name in the OGOC 2nd annual lakeview meet thread. Both threads are in the Canada Section. If you need help with anything let me know Im around all day today.
And again Welcome aboard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts