Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week I got my SLP headers done and today I went and got it all retightened because of a ticking sound/small leak, after retightening we could still hear a slight ticking sound although much lighter.

Anyways so I'm wondering is it a lifter tick possibly? I can hear it more from under the car when its on the hoist then standing over it.

Or is it normal because I read about some possible header tick when new when I searched it.

Tick is more so on Driver's side.​

· Registered
227 Posts
It's more than likely normal as long as they are not leaking anywhere. You will hear more valvetrain noise through the header as opposed to thick stock cast iron thick manifolds.

· Registered
7,852 Posts
Headers tick/make noise just get used to it. Its the exhaust gas pulses you're hearing. As for one side being louder then the other did you tighten the bolts from the inside out? Meaning you tighten the bolts in an alternating pattern starting at the inside bolts working outwards.

· Registered
658 Posts
I am kind of surprised you can hear any tick with solo axle backs and LT's...but then again, they are SLPs into the stock pipes, so you probably aren't as loud as my ARH or a Kooks setup all the way back.

But I concur, it is probably normal tick noises and not to worry. Lifter tick issues would go away after warming up.

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol I can hear everything cause I'm paranoid of lifter failure.

Also I'm going to straight pipe or x-pipe my exhaust soon needs to be louder for them neighbours I dislike lol

· Registered
535 Posts
You will hear the ticking/exhaust pulsing sounds through the headers because the wall thickness of the tubing is thinner than the stock manifolds. It's normal.

· Registered
369 Posts
I have the same issue with mine. You really only hear it at idle or when you car right next to a car or wall and the sound is reflecting into the cab with the windows down.I hate the tick but as stated before thats the trade off you get with headers.

· Registered
20 Posts
Same exact noise i am getting. I have Kooks LT catless with x pipe, straight pipes and j bends. I can still hear it after its warm... Doesnt take long to warm up living in AZ. Wondering if i should take it to the stealer and have them listen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.