Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my front brakes driver side brakes are squeeking pretty bad. No grinding, pulling one way or the other, just squeeking when driving slow and stoping. With 48k miles I figure why not upgrade, since I just bought the car, not really sure how previous owner drove it. Because I don't track the car, I don't do burn outs, but I do drive spirited once in a while. And here in texas the summers are very hot. I picked out this package below, what do you think? I also plan on doing the front now, then the rears when I get the rest of the money, do you see a problem with this. This set up is a little more than I wanted to spend but I figure it would be worth it as I plan to start moding next summer.

Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads
DBA Standard T2 Slotted Rotors

http://marylandspeed.com/hawk-perfo...brake-pads-20082009-pontiac-g8-gt-p-2428.html

http://marylandspeed.com/complete-set-complete-set-p-2990.html

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Seems good to me. I would suggest going with the Hawk HPS pads, but that's just me. Ive had them on for 5 months now and love them. No noise and no extra dust. Make sure you're brake hardware is up to snuff (brackets and pins) and I'd flush the fluid too. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put the same set up on my g8 about a month ago. I've put about 200 miles maybe on them and they are already rusting on the outside black part of the rotor, and also the fronts squeel when i come to a complete stop and again when i release from the complete stop. I'm having the squeelin checked out this weekend. For the money i would go a different direction. They do not even see rain or snow (salt) and are rusting. Good luck maybe i just got a bunk set. There are alot of g8's with this setup that are happy with them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put the same set up on my g8 about a month ago. I've put about 200 miles maybe on them and they are already rusting on the outside black part of the rotor, and also the fronts squeel when i come to a complete stop and again when i release from the complete stop. I'm having the squeelin checked out this weekend. For the money i would go a different direction. They do not even see rain or snow (salt) and are rusting. Good luck maybe i just got a bunk set. There are alot of g8's with this setup that are happy with them.

that is very disappointing.

I've been looking for a little while, and haven't seen any bad thinks about this combo of brands put together, but, maybe I'll look at different rotors.

·
Registered
176 Posts
So my front brakes driver side brakes are squeeking pretty bad. No grinding, pulling one way or the other, just squeeking when driving slow and stoping. With 48k miles I figure why not upgrade, since I just bought the car, not really sure how previous owner drove it. Because I don't track the car, I don't do burn outs, but I do drive spirited once in a while. And here in texas the summers are very hot. I picked out this package below, what do you think? I also plan on doing the front now, then the rears when I get the rest of the money, do you see a problem with this. This set up is a little more than I wanted to spend but I figure it would be worth it as I plan to start moding next summer.

Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads
DBA Standard T2 Slotted Rotors

http://marylandspeed.com/hawk-perfo...brake-pads-20082009-pontiac-g8-gt-p-2428.html

http://marylandspeed.com/complete-set-complete-set-p-2990.html
Save yourself the money and get regular centric rotors. The DBA aren't going to last you long enough to justify the price difference.

On top of that, you're getting hawk ceramic pads, which are not "performance" in the slightest.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
+1 to what the above posters have said. Go with Centric rotors and HPS pads. PC pads are nice for a driver, but don't provide anymore stopping than stock. (In my experience on a GM w-body)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
^^ agreed with the above. Don't buy into the "HPS pads great, but are dusty and noisy". I've had them on for about 5 months now and have no noise and no dust. Love them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys, haven't looked for the rotors yet, but are these the pads your suggesting, sorry just want to make sure i got it right, since all the names are so close to each other.

Hawk HPS $162 for all for or $87 front and $75 rear
http://marylandspeed.com/hawk-hps-front-rear-brake-pads-20082009-pontiac-g8-gt-p-2432.html

I also heard a couple people suggest in various other threads to get the following rotors

DBA 4000 clubspec t3
http://marylandspeed.com/dba-4000-s...rotors-20082009-pontiac-g8-gt-new-p-4547.html

Also wondring, and please don't laugh I feel bad enough being a car guy who loves cars, but when it comes to performing my own work, i give myself a 3 out of 10, but hey got to start somewhere.

Now my question, can I replace all 4 pads since they are cheaper, then replace the rotors, providing the stock ones are ok for now. Or is it best to do pads/rotors same time, and in my case 1 axle at a time.

Ok, just checked auto anything as I remember reading that name somewhere when afflicated with centric rotors, are these the ones, ya'll are refering to.

Centric Premium Rotors
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A5250A0A0.aspx

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Now my question, can I replace all 4 pads since they are cheaper, then replace the rotors, providing the stock ones are ok for now. Or is it best to do pads/rotors same time, and in my case 1 axle at a time.
You'll get both sides of the debate on this one. Some say yes, swap the rotors along with the pads, some will say, as long as the rotors are in good shape with no shaking or buildup just do the pads. Assuming you're still on the original set, I'd probably go ahead with new rotors too. Might as well for another couple of hundred bucks. I have the Centric, HPS set up with SS lines and think it's great for spirited driving without breaking the bank. All four corners for under 500. Don't forget to flush the fluid as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again guys for the info, I just put everything in the shopping cart for about $480 shipped, and that's all 4 corners so I might just do everything all at once and be done with it for while.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks again guys for the info, I just put everything in the shopping cart for about $480 shipped, and that's all 4 corners so I might just do everything all at once and be done with it for while.
The last time I bought my centric premiums I got them off carpartkings.com

Just search their site with the Centric model #s. This site had the cheapest I could find them and they shipped to me with no problems.

I am pretty sure the model #s for a GT are

120.62114 Front - $54
120.62113 Rear - $51

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The last time I bought my centric premiums I got them off carpartkings.com

Just search their site with the Centric model #s. This site had the cheapest I could find them and they shipped to me with no problems.

I am pretty sure the model #s for a GT are

120.62114 Front - $54
120.62113 Rear - $51
Great, thanks, I'll check them out.

·
every village has one
2,379 Posts
I went with a DBA/Hawks setup almost a year and a half ago. Granted it doesn't go out in lousy weather, and maybe the gold sticks better than the black, but the setup looks like the day it was put on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went with a DBA/Hawks setup almost a year and a half ago. Granted it doesn't go out in lousy weather, and maybe the gold sticks better than the black, but the setup looks like the day it was put on.
Good to hear, I have heard very few comments like the one you originally quoted.

But after looking at the prices I think I"m going to try the centrics for now. Maybe in a year or so when I'm able to start doing some more road course type stuff I'll upgrade. But the only track in town is an 1/8th mile strip, and I'm not really all that into driving straight, lol.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
powerslots are cheaper and aren't rusting for me. I'll add that if they're squeaking that might just mean you need to clean and lube your pins or pads. Squealing is generally what you hear when the pads are low. Also, if you're not getting any vibration when stopping your rotors might be just fine.

also squeaking can happen when it rains, or with aggressive ceramics

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I went to brakeperformance.com and bought drilled rotors and premium semi metallic pads for $420 free shipping. If you buy slotted or dimpled rotors you get pads free.

I've had them for 2 years and they feel the same as the day I put them on. I got the black one's and there's no rust as the DBA's tend to do (i've had the DBA's gave them away and went with these). When I upgraded to GXP brembos I got 2 drilled rotors and pads for $220.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts