Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I'm thinking Firestone Indy 500s or General GMax RS. Car is a DD but I have a set of winter wheels/tires.
Generals are a little less, but the Indy 500s have gotten good reviews. And yes, I've seen the tire rack video.
But I trust my G8 brethren.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
And I'm thinking Firestone Indy 500s or General GMax RS. Car is a DD but I have a set of winter wheels/tires.
Generals are a little less, but the Indy 500s have gotten good reviews. And yes, I've seen the tire rack video.
But I trust my G8 brethren.
I have read the reviews on both tires they are good tires. For me I went with the general Gmax AS-O5 all seasons since I live in Toronto. I do not think you can go wrong with either tires.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I haven't owned a set of the Firestone's yet ,but just yesterday a friend of mine with a 300Z was telling me he had some and loved them good mileage life and great handling he said. so put that in the what its worth category.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well here is an interesting twist, one of my local tire shops has a new Cooper Zeon in stock size that he's selling at a discount - about $95 discount on a set of 4, would by the other 3 new. So I may be a Cooper buyer. $655 installed.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Well here is an interesting twist, one of my local tire shops has a new Cooper Zeon in stock size that he's selling at a discount - about $95 discount on a set of 4, would by the other 3 new. So I may be a Cooper buyer. $655 installed.
What size are you going with?

I had the Zeon on a previous car - i'd be cautious because Cooper has been offing the early date code tires, and they also switched manufacturing sites...

·
Registered
436 Posts
We have Cooper Zeon RS3-G1's on my wife's Caddy ATS. The tread life isn't nowhere near the 50,000 mile warranty. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to replace them by the beginning of next year. I'd say 30,000 miles tops.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well have settled on General GMAX RS after reading a lot of reviews on Tire Rack. Will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well have settled on General GMAX RS after reading a lot of reviews on Tire Rack. Will let you know how it goes.
I think you made a good choice. I've got General GMAX AS-05 on my Camaro and so far they meet my expectations. So I'm pretty sure the RS shouldn't be much different than the AS-05 besides one being a Summer tire and the other being an All Season.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Very pleased so far with the GMAX RS in the stock 245/40 19 size. Had them road force balanced by the local rim straightening shop and they are VERY smooth at speed. Dry grip is excellent and meets my needs for a DD and they are not at all disturbed by the downpours we have had in Indiana the last few weeks (call it a month!). No issues tramlining on road grooves and the sidewall stiffness is just about right. They are not autocross tires but my first drive out of the garage after mounting them I heard the fondly-remembered sound from when I autocrossed of all the little pebbles being flung up against the fender wells. YMMV but for how I drive they are a great choice, and pretty reasonably priced, especially when the $70 General gift card is considered. Very nice tires.

·
F1rehawk
675 Posts
Glad you went with the Generals. Those are priced low for a reason. I wouldn't put that on my winter beater.

·
every village has one
2,147 Posts
Just swapped out my Conti DWS06’s for their Extreme Contact Sports. I’ll post up when I get a few miles on them...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update on General GMAX RS: Still like them. Good wet traction and resistance to hydroplaning, tested many times this spring in Indiana. Grip is great for a street tire, it is quiet and rides nicely enough. A great DD tire IMHO. When they do break away it's progressive and controllable. I have about 4k miles on them at this time. Best part - they still exhibit great balance, smooth at all speeds. Not true of every set of tires I've ever bought.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I run Firehawk Indy 500's for summer tires and ExtremeContact DWS06 for all seasons. Both have gotten great treadlife, have more than enough grip in the conditions they are rated for and ride quiet right up until 2-3/32 when they should be replaced anyways.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's the other one I was considering for summer, the Indy 500.

·
every village has one
2,147 Posts
That's the other one I was considering for summer, the Indy 500.
Narrowed down to Firestone and Continental. Went with the Continental based on previous experience with the brand. I’m sure Firestone are great tires though. Only seen them on one local G8, and I couldn’t get in touch with him before the Discount sale ended. With all the rebates, they were too good to pass up:)
So far so good with the Extreme Contact Sports. One of the concerns I was in reviews prior to buying was that they were somewhat noisy.
Don’t know where that came from, but they seem fine.
Of course my wife complains I can’t hear, but you know how that goes.....

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Interesting. I've run the Indy 500s on the stock 18s. Ran the Gmax AS03 and now running Gmax AS05s fronts and Continental extremes AS in the rears. Stupid Generals discontinued the 275-30-20s on me.

And luckily all 3 tires I've been impressed with. Of the 3, I'd say go with what's cheaper. But remember 2 are all seasons and the Indy500s are summer tires. I need good rain performance here in the NW

·
every village has one
2,147 Posts
Interesting. I've run the Indy 500s on the stock 18s. Ran the Gmax AS03 and now running Gmax AS05s fronts and Continental extremes AS in the rears. Stupid Generals discontinued the 275-30-20s on me.

And luckily all 3 tires I've been impressed with. Of the 3, I'd say go with what's cheaper. But remember 2 are all seasons and the Indy500s are summer tires. I need good rain performance here in the NW
Conti DWS06’s were impressive while they were on the car.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
i've had 2 sets of summers on my g8 now (with aftermarket 20's). yokohama s.drives and now i have hankook v12's. I will say they are both good for dd and spirited driving and give a slight nod to the hankooks. They seem to ride a little better and were a little less for the pocket.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts