Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 09 G8 GT has about 75k miles. Weekend driven. I just did the cts-v brake conversion. Before I do more engine mods (including supercharger), I am thinking its about time for some suspension work. I would like to get this car on the track but mostly it will be street use. I've mainly been on BMR just looking at parts and came up with this. I know a lot of you guys have suspension mods and I don't know a whole lot about suspension so let me know what you guys think.

How does this list look? Anything I should change or add? Opinion on coil overs?

eXtreme XA Coilover Kit - Pontiac G8 2008-2009

Bushing Kit, Rear Cradle, Poly, Full Bushing
Free Shipping on all BMR Suspension packages!

Sway Bar End Link Kit

Sway Bar Kit With Bushings, Front And Rear

Toe Rods, Rear, Adjustable, Polyurethane Bushings

Bushing Kit, Rear Trailing Arm, Outer

Trailing Arms, Rear, Polyurethane Bushings

Bearing Replacement Set, Front Strut Mount (pair)
https://www.bmrsuspension.com/index...cleid=19&maincatid=78&catid=228&productid=483

Bushing Kit, Front Strut Mount (pair)
https://www.bmrsuspension.com/index...cleid=19&maincatid=78&catid=228&productid=481

Bushing Kit, Steering Rack Mount
https://www.bmrsuspension.com/index...cleid=19&maincatid=78&catid=228&productid=478

·
Registered
213 Posts
There are varying opinions on coilovers. Lots of people are happy with them. Lots of people have had problems. These are heavy cars and not all coilovers are made to support the weight of our vehicles. Lots of people are happy upgrading to GXP shocks/struts and BMR poly strut mounts. Lots of people are super happy with Koni Yellows shocks/struts. I went with Tein lowering springs, GXP shocks/struts, and BMR poly strut mounts. It was a noticeable improvement handling wise without being too rough, and eliminated all the fiddling with coilover adjustments.

The cradle bushing inserts are a great buy. They make a very noticeable improvement keeping the rear end in control. Again speaking from personal experience. I don't think there is need for the full poly version you list above. The install would be a huge pain too. There was plenty of benefit going to just the cradle insert bushings which essentially fill all the voids in the stock cradle bushings.

Many people have done swaybars without having to upgrade to the end links. Other people have had the end links crap out. I am in the former group with no issues.

BMR rear subframe connectors aren't on your list and I would place them ahead of many of the items present. They too really help tie the rear cradle movement to the rest of the car and help it feel much more controlled.

Based on reading other peoples reviews, I would suggest the front radius rod poly bushings as more important than the steering rack mount.

Myself and plenty of others have had a fair amount of dragstrip passes on stock rear control arms, trailing arms, and toe rods without problem. I have no experience with replacing them nor can offer an opinion on their value.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
To add to GT Envy’s suggestions. Don’t get poly bushed trailing arms or toe rods. They move in more than 1 direction. I had poly bushed trailing arms on my old GT. The suspension does arc sideways so poly bushings bind and wear out. Spherical bearings are best. You can save some and get the Dorman Z-28 toe rods for way less.
Then there is the upper rear control arm bushing you missed. Stock is so mushy.. Contributes a lot too wheel hop too. BMR has it covered or GMs Z-28 version. With these items you will take the mushy compliance and make the handling more precise

·
Registered
09 G8 GT MGM
1 Posts
I am on pedders xa and the only complaint I have is the poorly constructed strut mount, if you buy a set I would recommend super pro mounts. After the coil overs went in the sway bar end links **** the bed, Works “fine” but is noisy. I’ve read a lot of people replace the engine mounts while doing sway bar replacement due to the fact you gotta jack the motor up anyway. I’m halfway thru my suspension upgrades and already love the difference. When I do the cradle, diff and rear brakes I’m gonna go with Stainless Steel (SS) brake lines all around for a stiffer pedal. After the front Bren is went in I felt like the pedal was softer but my braking distance was reduced so the SS lines will fix that. These cars are mean when built right

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I had pedders Xa many years ago. After I purchased them, learned that the rears had a tendency to fail (leak) after a year or so. What turned me off was that for warranty coverage you had to send the old shock in for inspection - and they did not sell individual shocks for you to buy and then have refunded. I checked H&R and BC - same story. That was the end of coil overs for me. Ended up with Koni upfront and Bilstein's in rear on eibach and have not looked back. The Bilstein's will soon be coming out for Viking triples. Ask about warranty and how it's handled before dropping the coin.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Just a general heads up that the G8 ride comfort seems to be very sensitive to harder/stiffer bushings (i.e. some folks who replaced the strut top rubber bushings with poly didn't like the resulting NVH). So if ride comfort is not a concern, have at it. Otherwise I would suggest a phased approach and replace only a couple suspension components at a time.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
My 09 G8 GT has about 75k miles. Weekend driven. I just did the cts-v brake conversion. Before I do more engine mods (including supercharger), I am thinking its about time for some suspension work. I would like to get this car on the track but mostly it will be street use. I've mainly been on BMR just looking at parts and came up with this. I know a lot of you guys have suspension mods and I don't know a whole lot about suspension so let me know what you guys think.

How does this list look? Anything I should change or add? Opinion on coil overs?

Bushing Kit, Rear Cradle, Poly, Full Bushing

Sway Bar End Link Kit

Sway Bar Kit With Bushings, Front And Rear

Toe Rods, Rear, Adjustable, Polyurethane Bushings

Bushing Kit, Rear Trailing Arm, Outer

Trailing Arms, Rear, Polyurethane Bushings

Bearing Replacement Set, Front Strut Mount (pair)

Bushing Kit, Front Strut Mount (pair)

Bushing Kit, Steering Rack Mount

Before you Order, give me a Call for a Forum Discount!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts