Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
L76 and go buy you % of oil life. Thats what i did on my Base. There have been a few threads on here about the oil life of our engines , there are a few who have tested it because of there jobs. And they all said to trust our % life.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
In the center of the gauges, hold down left scroll wheel down with key off. Turn key on and center will go to menu and youcan scroll down to the oil life. You can set different things in there.

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
On my L76 I did it once a year or whenever the OLM got down to about 10%. Usually it was once a year.

But the manual says go by 12 months/12,000 miles/ or OLM, whichever comes first.

·
NC
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that's good to know.

At least now I can set tires and oil/filter on a twice a year schedule.
Manual 9-9 for how to use/reset the monitor.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
There's a lot with this car that you didn't know it does. Again there's a thread on here about this subject. There's still stuff I didn't know you can do.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I shoot for every 5,000 miles or when oil life is around 50%. These engines like clean oil and having 9 quarts of capacity shows it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
L76 here. This past time I went to 8K miles on Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter. I think my OLM read 25% or so left. I feel pretty comfortable with that interval on syn oil.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I do every Fall or 5000 km (3100 miles) whichever comes first. Cars a garage queen so I do not want it sitting all winter with old oil in it. Mobil 1

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
It's been just over 5k or so and I did mine . Could of gone a couple months longer but all well.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I do it every 7,000 miles using mobil 1 synthetic 5w30

My OLM usually has like 40% at that point, but I just think it helps the longevity of the engine to do it sooner, w/ the AFM parts. Also, I don't like having to make more maintenance visits than I need to and you should be rotating your tires every 5-7,000 miles anyhow so I just get both done at the same time every time.

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
I shoot for every 5,000 miles or when oil life is around 50%. These engines like clean oil and having 9 quarts of capacity shows it.

The oil capacity is not for that reason. It has to do with the DoD more than anything. More oil = LONGER intervals between changes, not LESS.

·
Registered
239 Posts
just switched to amsoil dominator 10w30

ill prolly switch it at 3500-4000km

supposedly great oil but dosent stay as clean as conventional synthetics feels like i gain an hp tho lol kidding

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is the way the book tells you:
Hold down the left scroll wheel on the steering wheel and turn the ignition to the on/run position.
To re-set it you turn the ignition to the on/run position and depress the gas pedal three times all the way to the floor.
The dealer tries to reset the oil life monitor this way and it didn't work. They changed the PCM and the new procedure is this;
Hold trip button down, turn ignition on, release trip button, hold enter button in (scroll wheel) for one second to reset. GUESS WHAT IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!!! Any help or suggesstions would be appreciated

1 - 20 of 20 Posts