Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
History
  • Car was 100% stock till 65K
  • @65K installed Eibach springs/koni shocks (full soft +1 turn) superpro poly strut mount, camber washer, superpro control arms and bmr rear subframe inserts
--This made a huge difference in stance, firmness, driving stability, basically loved it for a while...
--at about 120K I wasnt happy with suspension anymore, rear springs seemed to be sagging a little and the koni shocks were in rough shape and one in the front and one in the back failed (koni ended up giving me an entire new set on them for cost of shipping - great experience honestly)
[email protected] installed tein springs with the new koni shocks and I switched the front strut bushing with the 50/50 (superpro part) poly mount? cant remember the part number or whatever but wasnt fully poly but not rubber either. I felt like the front has always been a little harsh ever since If went away from stock. Had to replace the control arms and went with mevotech (I was not happy the very expensive control arms that I thought would last a long time 100K plus barely made it 60K still annoyed by that)

Now 160K
The car seems to drive over bumps a bit harsher than I'd like and the wife isn't a fan so I need to do something. I don't think or at least know if anything has failed per-say but I know I want to improve things. I feel like the front is the right amount of stiffness etc it's just harsh over bumps specifically so I may just go back to a rubber strut bushing and see what that gets me. The rear i think the teins might not actually be quite stiff enough from a spring rate standpoint. I felt the same way about the Eibachs which is why I tried something new. I feel like the rear of the car bounces off the bump stops every time I go over a decent dip. Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like most of the spring options have a great spring rate in the front but are a little soft/low for the rear, maybe its me. The long and short of it is I'm unhappy with the ride harsh in the front and seems soft in the back. Also, as much as I like the car lowered I do have issues too often with my longtubes dragging, so that annoying too.

Plan/ideas
- replace front strut mount with something rubber???
- I think the ride height in the rear is a little too low id like it an inch or 2 higher so I'm thinking of swapping to something like the QA1 or viking rear shocks, if I stick with the teins. Or I can try to fab up some hind or spacer for the current Koni shocks.??
-Maybe these shocks are tired, and I should just whole sale change everything while I'm in there? 40k on shocks

I've never had a car where I've felt the need to mess with the suspension as much as this one... But I have loved owning it overall.
I need this car to be DD comfortable especially with my son in there all the time now, but I can never go back to the floaty non-sense the stock parts offered.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Id go with Pedders GSR all around with their stock height springs, I think you'll be pretty happy with that setup, also go with a good set of tires, lots of times people overlook tires as not being a part of how the car feels over bumps. When I switched to Michelin all seasons with made a difference

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
647 Posts
also go with a good set of tires, lots of times people overlook tires as not being a part of how the car feels over bumps. When I switched to Michelin all seasons with made a difference
You nailed it. So many people just don't understand how important a good radial tire is. Probably the most important aspect of how the vehicle is going to drive. Get a good tire...Michelin, BF Goodrich, etc.

One of my jobs is alignments and the brands that will cause problems are...General, Cooper and a host of offbrand tires that I see more and more of. Some of these will even cause a pull brand new. To prove a tire pull, simply cross the front tires. If it pulls the opposite way after crossing, you know it's a tire. I'm getting away from the topic but yes. Good tires make a good riding vehicle.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Do not use rubber top strut bushings. Why? I watched my factory rubber bushings collapse so that I had to replace them with only 8k miles on the car. Went with poly bushings (don't remember the brand). After settling in they haven't budged since 2010 (I only have 55k miles on the car).

On the rear suspension hitting bumps stops often - Have you tried tightening the shock control (I assume the Koni-s are adjustable)?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
My 2¢, polylast strut mounts for front with Koni, rear stay Koni or Bilstein My reason for this recommendation is parts availability. I had pedders XA, rear unit leaked -there were no single replacements available in the US. I was told to buy a new set, then return with failed part for refund. I could not afford the downtime and bailed on the coilovers. When H&S came out, I asked about warranty or single replacement parts to H&R and got the same "buy a set" story. This may be different today - ask them about single replacement unit -warranty or accident (hit curb etc)

Koni for the front can be had from multiple sources. The rears, you can swap in Gen5 camaro if you are lowered. The max extension is shorter for the camaro, works well with lowering sprngs, keeps the spring in it's perch when changing wheels. Rear Bilstein PN is Bilstein 24-222976 - Amazon has them as well as many other sellers.

Reactions: ClarkWGriswald1
1 - 7 of 7 Posts