Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good people of G8board...

I've owned my 2008 G8 GT for 8 years now. I have 145k miles on it, and although I've been fighting the signs to get rid of it for a couple years, it's finally time. My dilemma is that I have too much of a conscious and could use some guidance.

2 months ago my wife and I decided to keep the car running for another year until we figure out if we want to have more kids. I needed to fix a coupe thing so I go and get the headliner replaced and installed EBC Premium Rotors with Red Stuff pads. Of course within a week after doing both of these my A/C goes out and my key starts getting stuck in the ignition. Then a week ago, well a quick backstory...

2 years ago my upper radiator hose snaps and I replace it would a cold case radiator. Afterward I still have issues with the engine showing signs of cooling distress and I figured out about that the radiator cap wasn't seating to the radiator so it wasn't pressuring the system. I call cold case and they send me a replacement and I install it and all is well.

...so a week ago I noticed my fans running too much for a chilly San Diego morning (it was like 50 degrees) and once I let the engine cool down I check the overflow reservoir and have no coolant in it. I look under the car and can see a small puddle on the ground. I remove the valence under the engine and it's clear that coolant is leaking somewhere. After looking around I notice water collecting at the bottom of the fins of the radiator - it appears there is a leak somewhere in the fins because the upper and lower hose connections are dry and look good. This isn't something to be fixed without replacing the whole radiator again which at this point I don't want to do.

We decide to just get a new car and now I find myself with a 10 year car, with 145k miles, the A/C doesn't work, the key randomly gets stuck in the ignition, and my radiator is leaking. I need to get rid of the car but I cannot consciously trade in the car or sell it without making all of this known. I feel like the car isn't really in a condition to be traded or sold to be honest.

So, what would you do?

·
every village has one
2,170 Posts
If you don't want to fix the issues you've talked about, just be upfront with would be buyers.
A lot of people would just try and pass it off. Been my experience that buying a used car can always involve a "surprise" or two.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just trade it in or sell it to Carmax. Those places will refurbish it to a reasonable level before selling it again. That way you don't have to deal directly with a new owner and you don't have to feel guilty about anything that wasn't perfect.

Or, post it for sale with full disclosure. Lot's of people out there willing to make the repairs. You'll just have to be reasonable with the price.

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
Carmax, then find an SS!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Carmax, then find an SS!

I'm in agreement with GXPaycheck. Any dealer will appraise it for what they think it's worth, & do the appropriate repairs needed. Clear your conscience if you must, but they are in business to make a buck. Oh, an find an SS with the Mag-ride (15-16-17).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't know Carmax would refubish it, just thought they would send to auction and it'd end up at some "pay me $25/week for this car" dealer and someone would get screwed. That's not what I want to happen so will try to sell privately first.

I'd like to keep it but we tried that with the Solstice and we just ended up never driving it so we sold it.

I'd love to get an SS but need more than 5 seats. Looking at the Tahoe RST or Yukon Denali. Still need that V8 roar!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't know Carmax would refubish it, just thought they would send to auction and it'd end up at some "pay me $25/week for this car" dealer and someone would get screwed. That's not what I want to happen so will try to sell privately first.

I'd like to keep it but we tried that with the Solstice and we just ended up never driving it so we sold it.

I'd love to get an SS but need more than 5 seats. Looking at the Tahoe RST or Yukon Denali. Still need that V8 roar!
If you can't seat 5 comfortably in a SS, I'm a jet pilot.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fitting 5 usually isn't a problem, with 2 car seat it kinda is. Unless you're my wife who barely weights 1000 pounds on a bad day, it's a tight fit. But we need more than 5 so SUV here I come.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you end up going for a private sale I'd fix the thing(s) that make the car undriveable, which is the radiator, and be upfront about the rest. Particularly if you do the radiator yourself, you should be well versed at it. At 10 yrs old, 145k miles many people are not surprised the AC doesn't work, and that would most likely be a large cash outlay on your part to get it fixed. But the radiator, if you get the part for free, I'd spend a few hours to get $1000 more on sale. Also depends on how much your time is worth.

·
Registered
109 Posts
He’s never going to get that extra $1000 he puts in it back at the time of the sale. Better off just disclosing the problems, advertise it for 2-3k more than you want to net out of the deal and let someone make you an offer as is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's a lifetime warranty on the Radiator !

https://coldcaseradiators.com/warranty

Warranty
Only at Cold Case will you see not only a Lifetime Warranty, but also a 60 Day COOL Guarantee. If your Cold Case radiator doesn't keep your car or truck cooler than your previous radiator, send it back for a refund.

All radiators manufactured by Cold Case are guaranteed to be free from material and workmanship defects for the life of your installation. They are guaranteed to fit and perform their intended applications.
Modifying the design or function, or subjecting this product to abuse, misuse, mishandling or unauthorized repair voids all aspects of the warranty and return policy. The use of any type of 'strap' passing through the core of the radiator voids the lifetime warranty.
To submit a warranty claim, you must obtain a return authorization by filling out the form on our website, e-mailing or calling our offices. Once received and inspected, we reserve the option to repair or replace the radiator.
Cold Case also reserves the right to replace any product that has been discontinued from its product line with a new product of comparable value and functionality.
The warranty is not transferable or assignable. Any and all costs to remove and/or replace a warranted product are not covered by this warranty, including the shipment to and from Cold Case for the replacement.
Also, loss of vehicle, rentals or towing are not covered. Other than the warranty described above, all Cold Case products are sold “AS IS” and no other warranty is implied. At any time, the terms of this warranty are severable.
Proof of purchase is required for any warranty claim.

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
Fitting 5 usually isn't a problem, with 2 car seat it kinda is. Unless you're my wife who barely weights 1000 pounds on a bad day, it's a tight fit. But we need more than 5 so SUV here I come.
Wow if your wife is 1,000lbs it might even be a tight fit for 5 in a Tahoe.... Maybe pick up an Expedition EL :grin2:

I kid I kid.

Disclose the issues and sell privately. I don't think you will have an issue, doesn't seem like a terrible fix. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
He’s never going to get that extra $1000 he puts in it back at the time of the sale. Better off just disclosing the problems, advertise it for 2-3k more than you want to net out of the deal and let someone make you an offer as is.
Probably your best bet....no use putting money into it with no expectation of getting it back.
People buying as is for the most part know what their getting themselves into.
Be honest, but there's no need to sing like a canary either.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Presume you mean 100 versus 1000 pounds as stated. From the standpoint of needing a larger vehicle for the entire family... sell the G8. From the standpoint of the repair work...not bad enough to sell the car unless the problem(s) cannot be remedied and/or are reoccurring. At this point, probably best to replace the radiator with a standard unit. For what it's worth, am aware of people that drive practically brand new vehicles with some pretty significant mechanical issues. At the end of the day, follow your conscious and "this above all, to thine own self be true". As stated, there are quite a few people willing to purchase the vehicle as it with full disclosure and best of luck on whatever decision is reached.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good people of G8board...

I've owned my 2008 G8 GT for 8 years now. I have 145k miles on it, and although I've been fighting the signs to get rid of it for a couple years, it's finally time. My dilemma is that I have too much of a conscious and could use some guidance.
I just wanted to chime in and commend you on being honest.....most awesome in my books! Yup...all of our 08 G8s are hitting the 10 year mark. I am battling with a few issues with my own as well (slow start, running rich, leaking oil from either pan or rear main, or both...and cosmetic issues). I just replaced my radiator because the top plastic inlet deteriorated causing the upper hose to blow off. Its almost 87K now and its still a keeper for me... they will need to peel my skeleton from the drivers seat!

In anycase, I am in the same boat as you. Wife and I are planning for number 2 and with two child seats and strapping them in when its almost below freezing....it can be tough. Been looking at the 2018 Traverse. :smile2:

I would trying posting in the forum and see what you get. IMO, most of the members here are reasonable and will certainly appreciate someone that is being honest with their sale.

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Not in a condition to sell? Everything is in a condition to sell, period. Selling without disclosing issues like a possibly bad radiator would be questionable ethics. As long as you disclose the problems, there are people that would jump at the oppturnity to buy your car if the price is right. Sure, you'll take a hit not fixing those issues beforehand but most people do I think. Hence why they keep making new ones.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts