Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With this timing belt issue and code p0009 , do you guys think they will issue a recall? Really pisses me off that I have to stare at this service engine soon light all the time ...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive heard from my mechanic that this was a huge problem years ago with another pontiac engine and that everyone will have this problem with the v6 motor too because its the same kind of issue and that gm knows its a big problem and they may issue a recall to fix this like they did in the past.. but we ll c ...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sorry for being stupid but what issue is going on here with the V6's? Timing Chain yes but are just failing?

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Interested to know as well. In my very humble opinion, many of the timing chain issues are related to the use of a low quality/ improper oil and/or going strictly by the oil life monitor. I usually won't allow it to go below 25%. Using a good oil filter cartridge may help as well. Purolator and Wix are the two I mainly use. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
119 Posts
mine was stretched. engine stalled a couple time after the check engine light came on.
seems like it was a problem with those V6 in those years or maybe in was just a bad batch of chain, i remember the tech telling me that himself changed a **** load of timing chain prior to mine in almost new enclaves and acadias.

Besides that, i had the valve cover gasket replaced 45 000km after they did the timing chain job as it was leaking a little bit. other than all the problem i have had with suspention, oxygen sensors, abs sensors and all the other crap. this engine is running stupidly smoothly, i barely hear it running on idle. no shaking, no misfires. that engine is pretty damn strong, even at 95 000km

i never let the oil life meeter go under 25%.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya ive heard that they are having this issue with other models with the same type of engine...thats why my mechanic thinks i need to wait for a recall , but i dont want to wait and mess this engine up, but its a 10 hr mechanical fix ...lost of money

·
Registered
716 Posts
There will not be a recall on timing chain stretch issues as they do not cause engine failure, or any other serious side effect. The chain just stretches causing the camshaft sensors to go past there maxium adapt. There is a software update Gm has released to help with the tolerance of the what the computer considers allowable stretch. If you are still under your powertrain warranty it is covered..

·
Registered
119 Posts
it is covered under warranty. if i remember correctly the bill was around 1800.
However, mine had a code, so that why they did it right away

car was at the garage for a couple days.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Warranty gone by the time I got the code

:( I was at 108,000 when I got the code. No more warranty. They timed it just right. Nothing too noticeable, just sometimes it wont rev as quickly. Found a post on a CTS board where the guy repaired it himself, but it looks like a huge undertaking.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just got code P0008 Engine Position System Performance Bank 1 ECM ... Mine just went over 100K too... no warranty. Plus the dealer won't even give a general estimate...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dealer Estimate

They were really reluctant to give an estimate. Because there's the possibility that it could be something else, or just simply moving a shim....but I finally got them to say...that if indeed the timing chain needed to be replaced it would be around $2200.00. The kit is less than $400.00 online, but its apparently rated a 22 hour job. If anyone is brave enough there is a great writeup on the CTS forum. The engine is very similar...though maybe not exact....
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/221574-05-cts-3-6l-timing-chain.html

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Hah, I would never undertake such a massive job and instead take it to the stealership. Then, pay the bill in $1 Susan B. Anthony coins. I kid I kid.

·
Registered
97 Posts
spoke with a dealer out in my area... he said that he should be able to get some assistance from GM on it. I'm hoping so. With it being under 5k over 100k... they should. but not counting on it. We'll see once they do their diags on it this week.
They estimated 1300 just for labor. Also sais there was no "kit" for the V6 and it would have to be priced out individually on parts. Might work out to my advantage if I don't need everything.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I only use moble full synthetic oil and filter and have since I got my g8 with 32k i got this code since 73k and also I changed my spark plugs I have a rusted cylinder on the back drivers side due to water leaking in from the wiper houseing gaurd and my car has 101000 on it now they told me the whole time it wasent a defect and I have lost a lot of power I can't even turn a wheel over on a wet rd with tration control off and my windshield wiper motor dosent work so now I can't drive in the rain this is a fun car when it worked but gm is a horible comany to work with on repairing a car. I had a scion tc and the crank pully broke at 32k and toyota put a new motor in no q's asked for the money ppl spend on gm products ud think they would try and make them happy

·
One of them OGOC folks
337 Posts
Leaving the oil in too long, letting the oil level get too low...these are contributors to these timing chain codes. There are rare issues of the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft moving and causing CELs but 98% of the time it's stretched chains. Older style cylinder heads have problems with cam journals, the cams walk too much. Shims or head replacement is the solution.

I've done my fair share of them, and because I know them so well I wouldn't hesitate to buy that engine...but I do feel bad for the people out of warranty and on the hook for a repair this size.

There won't be a "recall" per say, but they do often have special policies and I know there's one out there for this.

Subject: 11340C – Special Coverage Adjustment — Timing Chain Wear

Models: 2009 Buick Enclave
2007-2009 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS
2009 Chevrolet Traverse
2007 GMC Acadia
2009 GMC Acadia
2007 Saturn OUTLOOK
2009 Saturn OUTLOOK
Equipped with 2.8L/3.6L Engine (LP1/LY7/LLT)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts