Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love, love my G8 but I’m torn between fixing the timing chain vs trading it in. Got the P0008 code along with an ABS light (check engine light has been on for awhile). A local repair shop quoted me $1800 to fix both but also mentioned I needed to replace the thermostat because my car isn’t running warm enough and has a bad smell coming from the exhaust? Has anyone ran into this issue? They told me it would be another 9 hour job and $800 to replace L My G8 has 163,000 miles on it so my husband says its time to let it go….but I wanted to drive it forever. Just curious what others paid for the timing chain fix?

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
A timing chain fix by the book shows 28 hrs + parts . We all know it can be done in 8-10 depending on experience level. I'm assuming this is the V6 engine. $1800 isn't that bad for the timing chain replacement at a reputable shop, ABS is likely just the rear wiring harness.
I think after the timing chain repair your good to go for many more miles if you have done regular maint.

I have never heard of an exhaust smell from a t-stat issue unless the car overheated and has been driven for some time afterwards. If it smells like burnt antifreeze out the pipes then you would have a head gasket problem or worse, I would check the rad for oil sightings, also look for a white residue on the oil dipstick and under the oil filler cap.
If your getting good heat along with working defrost you t-stat will be fine.
Exhaust smell could be many things.

Hope this helps
Eric

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
$1200-$1500 is what the going rate it these days.
Don't get rid of it. My V6 has 164,000 +
As for the thermostat that would be changed the same time as the chains since the upper manifold is off.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Another option perhaps is to look at a new V6 crate engine?
Here (in Aus) if I lift a rocker cover & there is sludge covering everything
then I wouldn't consider a timing chain replacement. The damage is done.
The thermostat is located at the rear of the engine & usually involves the
auto trans coming out to give access to it (thermostat).
But, as mentioned earlier, if the manifold is off then access can be gained from
the top.
The old "smell out of the exhaust & blame the thermostat trick" is something new to me.
Pretty laughable really. After that comment I would be seeking a second opinion.
Good luck though with whichever way you go...

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I'm not sure where the tstat is on the V6, but they are normally very easy to replace and super cheap. Don't pay someone to do this.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I'm not sure where the tstat is on the V6, but they are normally very easy to replace and super cheap. Don't pay someone to do this.
The thermostat on a V6 is at the back of the engine & usually requires
auto trans removal to access it. It isn't the "normal" 2 bolt hump type
housing found on the V8, it is a rather complex (of sorts) design.
It is a rather large alloy unit with steel pipes going to it.
Certainly not cheap or easy to replace.................

·
OGOC Member
136 Posts
$1200-$1500 is what the going rate it these days.
Don't get rid of it. My V6 has 164,000 +
As for the thermostat that would be changed the same time as the chains since the upper manifold is off.
You're 164,000km's right? If so, he's got almost another 100k on ya :)

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Wow I just realized it was 163k miles also. Ouch..... I would consider what hdt176 mentioned, a crate engine would be the better way to go if you decide to keep er' .
It appears as thou the shop wants $2800 for the total fix, just upped the price on the t-stat install to cover the added labour on the chains IMO.

Up here in Canada G.M will charge $3100. out the door for V6 Chains installed.

Eric

·
Registered
44 Posts
The timing chain is majority labor. I did mine around 120,000 miles. Now I'm at 154,000. the parts can be found online anywhere from $250 to $450. That being said, the labor alone is worth $1500 easy. I had two weeks off work and time to tinker (plus I didn't want to spend the labor) so I did it myself, very slowly. I'd do it again at 240,000 if I had to (because I still won't want to spend the money), but I can assure you I wouldn't look forward to it with joy. I haven't had to deal with the Thermostat...but I know I like this car so much...I'd figure it out, or pay to have it done. What would you get if you let the car go?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7h6OGtKxhM&feature=youtu.be
I would replace the motor if the rest of the car is good. I heard the service rep talk about $2,500 and up for this one at one point but they had yet to tear into it.
Hope that trouble stays away for many miles for all G8 V6 owners. This VVT in a CTS was not so lucky at 80,000 km - 50,000 miles. It looks like this owner did not take very good care of his 3.6.

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
[QUOTE=FMQ;
I would replace the motor if the rest of the car is good. I heard the service rep talk about $2,500 and up for this one at one point but they had yet to tear into it.

Absolutely $2500 ++ is not uncommon to replace the chains in the V6, The OP had a reasonable quote I wouldn't be surprised if the OP said OK just do the chains and we will do the T-stat ourselves Haha. I would bet the price they quoted on the chains would go up a heck of alot more than $1800.
I would opt for a crate engine knowing the mileage on the car now as others stated.

Eric

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
FMQ; I would replace the motor if the rest of the car is good. I heard the service rep talk about $2 said:
The $2500 + was starting ballpark price for a bad lifter that this guy had in the youtube video. I had the G8 in for its storage oilchange and the CTS owner kind of pressed the service rep for a guessed price on the spot. The service rep mentioned that the cam may have gotten wiped.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
The $2500 + was starting ballpark price for a bad lifter that this guy had in the youtube video. I had the G8 in for its storage oilchange and the CTS owner kind of pressed the service rep for a guessed price on the spot. The service rep mentioned that the cam may have gotten wiped.
If he said cam and not "camS" I'd walk away lol.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Having done the cam(s) chain's myself,Lol. I too know how much work is involved and it's quite a lot. Here in Australia the quotes range from $2500 to $3500 and thats both from Holden dealers. Also that does not include the VVT gears 2x for the inlets on the LY7 or
2x inlets and 2x exhaust for the high output version. Here you can add another $1200-2000.
If you don't have tools and special tools (cam locks, pullers and torque wrenches) just get it done at a dealer. The V6's will die a quick death if the oil is not kept super clean, sludge will stop the tensioners from extending to their fullest causing wear and stretch on the chains. From memory the left one seems to go which is usually the one that codes. Snap a chain and bin the engine, when I was at my mates Holden dealership here in Adelaide he showed my an engine that was out of a Holden Captiva, same engine just runs east west and it was amazing to see the kind of destruction it will cause. Like one of the other boys said on here if it really sludgy get another engine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just had this pop up on my car today. Is it safe to drive with P0008 or am I taking a huge risk on the road?

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Just had this pop up on my car today. Is it safe to drive with P0008 or am I taking a huge risk on the road?
It's not advisable but some guys have drove theirs with that code.
You risk the chance of throwing one of the chains and ruining your engine.

My advice is NOT to drive far with it like that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thank you for the heads up. Just replaced the trans on this thing now this...

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Wow. I had my tranny rebuilt as well and a yr later had the same code and replaced my chains right away.
You can get a great price on new ones from rockauto.

Any help you need let me know.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts