Pontiac G8 Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Got the chains done yesterday. What a night and day difference in the performance of the car. So much more responsive.

When my mechanic got everything torn down we found the chain was off one link on the Bank 1 intake sprocket and a little bit of slack was starting to develop on the bank 2 chain.

Thanks for the info in this thread guys!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glad to hear. I know it's probably a load off your mind. Now go out and wind it up to 3500rpm and enjoy the surge to redline. That's my favorite part with this engine.

·
OGOC Member
2,607 Posts
Glad to hear. I know it's probably a load off your mind. Now go out and wind it up to 3500rpm and enjoy the surge to redline. That's my favorite part with this engine.
Yes sir.:driving:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well done, one tooth out was heading for a big fail. I just helped a guy do his wife's Renault Megane's timing belt and dephaser. No shop manual or instructions and guess what, caboom she went. We were one tooth out on assembly and that must have stressed one of the valves in #2 cyl and it dropped. Not one bit of piston left in there,plenty in the sump though. Bought a used motor from the wrecker and fitted it a couple of days ago and all good. I no touch now without a shop manual , have learnt our lesson.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Most definitely a load off my mind. I hate having to baby a car. Been driving the hell out of it since the fix. I mean this new chain ain't gonna stretch itself!! :driving:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well done, one tooth out was heading for a big fail. I just helped a guy do his wife's Renault Megane's timing belt and dephaser. No shop manual or instructions and guess what, caboom she went. We were one tooth out on assembly and that must have stressed one of the valves in #2 cyl and it dropped. Not one bit of piston left in there,plenty in the sump though. Bought a used motor from the wrecker and fitted it a couple of days ago and all good. I no touch now without a shop manual , have learnt our lesson.
I have the technical ability to do the work, but without a detailed manual I would have jacked it up big time. Not to mention it probably would have taken me at least twice as long!!

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
Mine went bad last month. i was trying to pass a car and engine went flat like I lost a cylinder. Mechanic said there was a little slack in the chain. Car runs awesome with new chain. Now time to install my Overkill tune.

·
OGOC Member
2,607 Posts
Did you go for the larger Throttle body as well?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just ran into this problem and I have been looking into the replacement. Trying to find out why this problem even exists. Was it poor engineering or stupidity. How much will I have to pay to get this fixed.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
….over engineering….
I've heard it discussed that its more of the chain guides wearing causing slop than the chains actually stretching.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts