Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Timing chain

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Will M. 
#1 ·
I would like to know what mileage you started having timing chain problems.

#2 ·
It can happen at 5 miles or 150k miles. A lot of variables.

#4 ·
This is for the V6 not the GT.

#6 ·
I've noticed alot of chains going around 130,000 kms. Mine went around that kms also.

#7 ·
For me that's another 2 to 2.5 years time will tell.

#8 ·
I just had to do mine - changed at 157,000 km - the CEL was on and off for about the previous 5,000 km. My usual mechanic did not want to do the job so it went to the local GM Dealer. Timing works fine (no CEL), but there is now a serious vibration in the A/C compressor. Dealer claims that moving the A/C unit when changing the chains could not have caused the vibration. Apparently it is just a "coincidence" that there was no vibration when it went in and big vibration when it was returned. As you might imagine, I am not a happy camper!

#9 ·
I just had to do mine - changed at 157,000 km - the CEL was on and off for about the previous 5,000 km. My usual mechanic did not want to do the job so it went to the local GM Dealer. Timing works fine (no CEL), but there is now a serious vibration in the A/C compressor. Dealer claims that moving the A/C unit when changing the chains could not have caused the vibration. Apparently it is just a "coincidence" that there was no vibration when it went in and big vibration when it was returned. As you might imagine, I am not a happy camper!
I am sure you have gone back, but they must be able to fix it properly. I would speak to the manager.

#11 ·
Which GM dealer is that. Did you call GM directly to voice your problem with that dealership.

#12 ·
Are you sure its the A/C compressor? Maybe something loose. Just a thought.

#14 ·
Yeah - definitely the A/C compressor - I am continuing to follow up with dealership. Thanks for the comments!
Still like to know what dealership as I will probably have to get this done at some point.

#15 ·
Just received the dreaded P0008 engine code today. I'm still waiting to hear from the dealer to see how much they'll charge. I called GM and they stated that other GM vehicles with the HFV6 are covered under warranty but the G8 is not. He stated that there could be different parts or my car could be manufactured in a different country as reasons my G8 wasn't covered. Has anyone recently had any luck getting their timing chain fixed under warranty as of late? I think it's total BS that they extend the warranty for only certain GM vehicles.

#16 ·
I was 4 days out of warranty when mine went and they didn't want to cover it. But after some discussion with the manager they offered and I took it. A goodwill plan they called it and I ended up paying $540 to have mine done. Ask your dealer about the goodwill plan and be firm they may give it to you.

#18 ·
Here in Australia the price for the full chain and tensioner kit to be done at a Holden dealer will set you back $2800-3500.
I bought a workshop manual and did mine myself for $750, what a job. Did a little after work each night in the driveway in the dark with a led light and took me 5 nights or about 10-12 hours. My engine light use to come on then go off, for about a year I took a gamble and kept driving it till it ended up with about the same power output as a cheap sowing machine and then did it. My mate who is a Holden mechanic kept telling me not to leave it to long and then one day at the dealership showed me one engine that didn't get it done in time, what a mess.

#19 ·
After complaining to the dealer, they gave me $750 off bringing the total cost to $2k. I called four other shops around the area and all were within $100 of what the dealer was charging. I called GM twice asking fro some sort of compensation since the fault lies with them and the chain not being properly heat-treated. They told me I can't receive anything due to my car being made in Australia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.