Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I just recently started to take my car out for Track Days in the Illinois area. For those of you that take your G8 out on the track, what tire pressure do you guys set for your tires. I am currently running OEM size summer tires. I was out at Blackhawk Farms in June where an instructor recommended that I set my tires to 32lbs. I did not like that to much. The vehicle seemed a little sluggish at that setting in the morning, and in the afternoon, I seemed to be sliding around the track. The day was 95+ deg. Thanks for the reply's in advance.

G8 Track Driver

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I was autox the imports I built (ff setup) in Milwaukee WI i would use about 35 psi front and about 45 psi rear since they were front wheel drive that was the only way to get the back end to rotate for me how I wanted it to on the short track. My WRX was similar or close to that in the parking lots.

G8 Track Driver
My Dad is having the same issue that you are having with his Chevelle that we built. Suspension is too stiff tires didnt have any give losing traction on the track and certain points of the track. We have pro comp tires with about 45psi front was digging really well but the back end kept sliding. so we lowered the pressure to 32 in the rear so they would heat up to about 36 and loosened the rear end for more bite. But that is ~750hp with full ride tech air bag suspension.
When you go back there in June set the tires to about 35 for the morning and check them in the afternoon when the track heats up that should give you a more constant feel and hopefully the car will stay planted. Its all a guess since I plan on doing the same thing with my G8 this summer.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
32 is too low. You will be rolling over on the sidewall and response will be sluggish. 38 cold front and rear is a good place to start. Use your eyeballs or some white shoe polish to see if you are on the sidewall. If so, go with an even higher pressure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If they are a standard tire you are right 32 is too low... for the Chevelle its perfect and does not roll over and gets traction.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
There’s a technique of making a chalk line on the side of the tire to determine how much air you need. Track gurus need to chime in on this one.

Here’s a vid:
I would start with normal pressure (36 for us) and work from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts