Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the original tires this week on my 09 GXP. Stock wheels. 8-9000 miles per year. Half are highway miles. I live in South Florida. I don't race, just like to go fast occasionally. I want smooth and quiet- (so I can hear the awesome engine better:) I like the originals on it now (Bridgestone Potenza) but don't want to spend that much. I'd like to be in the 200 per tire range. Suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
682 Posts
OK... I know you said you wanted to go cheap, but I recently discovered that a tire purchase is one of those things where you truly do get what you paid for.

I had the Hankook Ventus EVO12's, and though some on this forum rave about them, I was completely unimpressed. Great price though.

Recently went to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, and WOW is all I can say. Outstanding dry traction, outstanding wet traction, and quiet too.

So, skip a mortgage payment and get the Michelins!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hankook's are popular, many people like the various flavors of Nitto's and some go with the General G-max option.

I went with my Vred's because I wanted something different and after hours of researching there were very few negative comments about them in forums for BMW/Audi/Maserati/etc. I've only had them on a couple months but they're fantastic so far.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Nitto NT05 or Invos.

Personally, since I don't drive her in poor conditions, my next set will be NT05's.

·
Drives with wolves
901 Posts
I've got 15k miles on my Cooper Zeon RS3-A's in 19.........VERY satisfied in all aspects of daily driving with them as far as grip, noise, wet performance and wear. They are a high performance all season tho, being you're in Florida you can do summer tires only?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for your replies! I figured there would be a variety of opinions. I'm going to spend more and go with Michelin Pilot Super Sports max performamce summer tires. A combination of Michelin preference in past tire purchases on other cars and the recommendation of Johnny Service. I can't cut corners- (aha, cut corners- get it?) on the best overall car I've ever owned!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Good choice, I have the PS2 up front and they are nice.

Another option is the Mickey Thpmpson Street Comps or Cooper RS3-S.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Continental DWS has a quiet ride, good traction and Y rated for the price.

·
Registered
90 Posts
BFG Gforce sport comp2's are going on today. Went with stock 245/40 and the tread width is about an inch wider than the DSW's. Thought they were a 255 at first glance. Looking forward to the extra grip in the corners. I hear they might be a little loud, but with my exhaust, it is a non issue.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Michelin PS2 's here for 22k and love them; excellent dry traction and handling

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
218 Posts
BFG Gforce sport comp2's are going on today. Went with stock 245/40 and the tread width is about an inch wider than the DSW's. Thought they were a 255 at first glance. Looking forward to the extra grip in the corners. I hear they might be a little loud, but with my exhaust, it is a non issue.
I've had these for a few months now. Great tire. No issues, noise or otherwise. Got them for very close to $200/tire too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Continental Extreme Contact DW's are pretty aggressive, and the pricing isn't that bad.. I'm planning on going with the Nitto Invo's.. They aren't as expensive as you would think and I've heard MANY good things about them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
have 125k on my 09
have had goodyear and sumitomos.
both poor wear.
have had FIERCE INSTINCT ZR'S for over 40k miles.
awesome grip in wet and dry.
best wear of any performance tire I have ever purchased.
rotated them at every 5k
200.00 each including mount and balance

·
Registered
123 Posts
Continental Extreme Contact DW's are pretty aggressive, and the pricing isn't that bad..
I can attest to that... I'm 1000 miles in on a new set of Extreme Contact DW's, I love them, coming from the Crapyear RSA's they are 100x better. Being in SoCal I haven't had them in the rain yet, but I would recommend them to anyone. As a bonus, the tread width is a little wider than another brand 245 series tire. I got a set of 4 for ~$730 to my door.

·
Offshore Prositute
756 Posts
I used NT05 in the back and NT555 in the front. I got about 12k and 30 passes on the NT05s, fronts are looking brand new, gave them to my brother and got motivos all the way around and using my NT05s for racing (not much tread left)

The nitto Motivos are ultra high performance tires that get 50k or 60k. I put about 4k on it, and it hooks pretty decent for street tires. Very quiet and stick tires. I love them, very great tires.

·
Registered
781 Posts
JohnnyService, I agree about the Michelins. Head and shoulders above stock tires.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You're looking to spend around $200 a tire? In that case I'd recommend the Nitto Motivo. I've seen nothing, but awesome reviews for them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
86 Posts
Agreed. I recently spent months doing research and I ended up with Nitto Motivos. No complaints what so ever. Minimal road noise and traction is great in wet/dry conditions. I think they'll fall within your price range as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts