Pontiac G8 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not sure if you are into BF Goodrich tires at all. But I had the new g force Comp 2 a/s tires put on my G8 GT. ... I like them and will be willing to get another set when the time comes.
Goody Gumdrops. My friend has been running these on his '89 GTA and loves them. Has convinced me to buy a set when my Potenza RE97AS' are done.

P.S. - I would not recommend the Potenza RE97AS to anyone. Fine for DD (when its dry) if you never want to push past 1/4 throttle... poor tire choice by the PO.

·
Registered
49 Posts
245s and 275s

Was this on the stock 19" rims?
My car has this combination from the PO. The Nitto 555s have a much more square sidewall profile that the OEM tires on the front, but the difference in width on the stock 19" rims does not look odd in any way. In fact, if 275s fit all the way around, they might protect the rims from curb rash.

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Hey guys,

Put 4 new 265-40-18 Falken Azenis FK453's on our black G8 a couple of weeks ago.
They seem very good in wet and dry conditions. They stick alot better than the Goodyear eagle rsa's we had on the car. Our little V6 doesn't spin at all on the rainy days.
So far so good .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 (Z rated version):

Good performance for an all season tire. Quiet ride, great wet traction. Not quite sticky enough to get a good launch once you get to full bolt on stage and above though. 15k miles and about 1/3 worn; not bad considering I tend to take corners fast.

I will switch to BFG Sport Comp 2's when these wear. If you have to have an all season tire though instead of a summer tire, these are the best.

Jason

·
Registered
183 Posts
Had the Conti DW on my G8 GT and they were a great tire!

The Goodyear Eagle GT has great wet amd dry traction for a cheap A/S tire.
Treadlife is very short (17K for me) and the ride gets lumpy as the tires wear.

GTO_04

·
Registered
49 Posts
Costco has a $70 rebate on Michelins through July 5 - 19" GXP Pilot Super Sports for $889 installed plus tax. They include a 5-year road hazard warranty in the base price per tire for the original buyer. Of course, the trick is whether their installers can mount 45s without bending up the rims...
Costco took excellent care of me. I showed up a half-hour before opening on a Saturday morning, and the Tire Manager personally mounted the Michelins for me. No issues with damage, bending on the rims or anything. The Michelins balanced with just a few weights on each rim.

Driving home, there was a noticeable drop in road noise over the two factory Bridgestones and two Nitto 555s. Nice straight track up the road at 75mph. Since I avoid rain, I can't comment on the wet traction.

Seems like a good deal to me. I know Discount Tire sponsors this site, but the same tires, mounting and a lesser road hazard warranty would have totalled about $200 more (I checked). And Costco's road hazard warranty is for FIVE years.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did anyone ever run/review the Nitto INVO? Leaning towards this one
I've got INVOs on my project car (Superlite Coupe - http://superlitecars.com/index.php/cars/superlite-slc). Great traction and handling, but I don't think I'd run them on a daily driver. I've only got about 300 miles on them and can see they've worn already. I have spun the rear tires a bit more than I ever do with the G8 though. :gr_devil:

My G8 came with General G-Max AS-s on it. I don't really like them, and I just developed a sidewall bubble, so that's my excuse to replace them all. I've got it narrowed down to Conti ExtremeContact DWS (had those on my previous car and really liked them), Conti DWS 06, or BFG g-Force COMP-2 A/S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am kind of reviving an old post but I can comment that I have the continental DWS's and like them a lot. They are 245 45 18 all the way around and I get fantastic wet and dry straight line traction. They even handle snow pretty well. The one thing I am not too fond of is (take this with a grain of salt due to high tread wear) high speed handling. On exit and entrance ramps to the highway it almost feels like the car is ready to break loose in the rear and forces me to slow down. I have also seen deals online for them at $145 per tire and at that price I highly reccomend them. Not to mention the tread pattern looks great

Edit: after throwing a new set on the rears these tires are wonderful. The car sticks and holds and now the limiting factor is the driver not the tires

·
Registered
99 Posts
i just put the INVOs on my G8 and LOVE them. I had a worn set of RSA's on there so maybe that has alot to do with it lol. But they are great in wet so far. I'm very happy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New nokian hakkapeliitta Studless

I bought the 4 new Nokia Hakkapeliitta and I love them. They are just great in the snow. No longer have to bank on my Subaru for the snow day

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Big ups to Nokian. I have a set of Rotivas on the 4X4 Truck and I thought that the wet traction was not the greatest but wow do they grip in the winter despite having an all season capability. I would go with a full winter one like the Hakka's that you listed here if I was rolling the G8 now.

·
IdontRe Member
631 Posts
What are peoples experiences with BF Goodrich G-force Sport Comp-2s?
I've had the BFGs and the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Loved em both but my current MPSS's have worn to their depth indicators inside of 19K miles and so I'm about to put my 2nd set of BFGs on. And I do not drive the car hard and am very good about rotate & balance.

The BFGs are very hard to beat when you consider the performance you get for the price. :wink2:

·
Registered
108 Posts
235/55/18...do they fit?

They are 1.32 inches taller than stock.. Will they fit on the wheel in the fender well on stock suspension? Maybe. But not ideal. Your speedo will be over 3 miles and hour slow at 65mph unless the speedo is calibrated.

If you're set on this size which I wouldn't recommend make sure to get all 4 or your abs sensors will go crazy.

And the size I believed the other poster meant to mention being used for winter is most commonly a 225 50 18 or a 235 50 18

·
Registered
260 Posts
Has anyone tried Yokohama S drive or Advan Sport A/S in 245/40-19? I have the Blizzaks for winter but they need to come off soon. I'm also looking at the General GMAX AS-03 or Sumitomo HTR A/S P02.

I can get by with a summer tire since I have the winter set-up. I found the original Bridgestones were not as bad as I expected when it got cold.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've had a set of BFG g-Force COMP-2 A/S on for about 4 months now and I really like them. They did quite well in the snow during the winter and they've been good in rain and dry also. Vast improvement over the General G-Max tires I had on previously.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts