Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Move over >
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So i'm in a pickle here. I bought 2 tires on here form a great guy and had them installed. tires are great....
well when they were mounted, the tire guy used the wrong kind of machine or something and he scraped both rims all the way around, a chunk even out of one edge (half the size of a bb) so i was thinking i'll have the face "re-machined" and clear coated. whats something like this going to cost me? is it worth it or am i better off buying 2 more rims? (i can get two rims locally in perfect shape for under 180) i just hate to sacrafice these rims. maybe turn them into full size spares, sell one i guess. i already have a total of 8 gt 19s... 6 of which are perfect... now 2 are ****** up...

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
See what the shop owner thinks should happen. Since the rims were under his care while you went there to pay for services rendered to mount/dismount, they are liable for damage. Same thing if a quick oil change place scrapes your paint when moving the car into the lot.

One suggestion is be open to getting quotes for similar rims and when he pays you for them, then he gets to keep the defaced and damaged rims. He bought you effectively new rims so you're good to go, and he can do what he wants with the damaged rims, it's no longer your concern.

Either you force him to pay up and fix the damage one way or another (I personally wouldn't ever chance refacing and re-clearcoating any factory OEM rims, but thats just me) and then in the end he effectively gets your old rims.

·
Move over >
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See what the shop owner thinks should happen. Since the rims were under his care while you went there to pay for services rendered to mount/dismount, they are liable for damage. Same thing if a quick oil change place scrapes your paint when moving the car into the lot.

One suggestion is be open to getting quotes for similar rims and when he pays you for them, then he gets to keep the defaced and damaged rims. He bought you effectively new rims so you're good to go, and he can do what he wants with the damaged rims, it's no longer your concern.

Either you force him to pay up and fix the damage one way or another (I personally wouldn't ever chance refacing and re-clearcoating any factory OEM rims, but thats just me) and then in the end he effectively gets your old rims.
I guess i will explain the whole story...

So i had the wife take the G8 to a shop to mount the 2 tires. its right around the corner from where i work so i would meet her there on my lunch...

So i get there, first i notice some blue paint in my front driver bumper corner. (WHAT THE ****) THEN I THINK WELL HOW ARE THE RIMS? So then i saw the rims. then i go inside where the mgr has the papers printed up ready for sig and payment. wifey says "you're just in time" my eyes were popping out of my head and i said come with me we're not signing ****" (looking back big mistake) we all go look i point out my bumper and the rims. manager says he didnt do the bumper and his machine is plastic he couldnt have done the rims. so i pull wifey aside and ask her what she saw. "nothing" i explain that the wheels and my bumper were fine this morning so wtf? wifey says maybe she did the bumper when she parked, maybe? what you mean maybe? so i investigate, the paint was pushed not pulled, definately her... but the rims had a perfect 2 mm cut all the way around 1.25" from edge, clearly form the tire guy, he wouldn't acknowledge. he said just leave you dont have to pay. so i obviously told him that mounting costs aren't close to the cost of two rims. and i explained that the car was in his posession hes responsible. so im taking pictures and my wife goes to the guy to give him her contact info for hitting the other car. he says dont worry just go... so in my eyes its about a wash. i didnt pay so i have no documentation that he performed the work. all i can do is give him a terrible google/ yelp review... bad day, i need a drink now, its lunch time.

·
Move over >
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh yea and the wheels arent even balanced, hit the freeway at 60 and rear of car is shaky...

·
Proud owner
1,196 Posts
I've personally had that happen twice to my OEM 19's. In both cases, the tire store wanted to have them repaired. Both times I said OK. Both times, the finished product sucked, I protested, and got a new replacement. I don't think they can repair it and you not be able to notice a difference. One time, the machining didn't look right. The other time, the machining was okay, but the clear coat was bad.

·
Move over >
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well

so i looked into the local rims. not perfect has one fat scrape similar to what i have and the other is curbed bad. not worth it. i guess at this point they are just beater rims. after all i have another perfect set... any one got some recomendations on how to repair these to a smooth enough finish that i can paint/ powdercoat them? i was thinking about sanding/ light grinding but the thought scares me, i'd much rather take to a local machine shop here in the north bay of california, and refinish them then powdercoat...

·
Move over >
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thinkin I'm gonna plasti dip them... pacific rim says 162 per rim to restore

·
Move over >
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anyone have a comparison of gunmetal plastidip color vs MGM color of car?

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you have 6 in perfect condition why do you need these resurfaced?

If you can get 2 in perfect condition for 160 that is pretty darn cheap!! I would guess 200-300 for a full resurface. I know the guy I have used in the past is around $75 a wheel but that is basically for curb rash.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Move over >
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i want two sets. one summer one winter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Was this a local shop or national chain, probably should post name in order to advise people to stay clear if they have rims of any value that need changed. I need to have 4 wheels switched over to new rims, don't need a shop to screw them up and then deny doing the damage.

·
That's ME!
4,022 Posts
WHY THE F&*K can't people put tires on rims without messing them up?!!!

I'm tired of it. I guess I'll just get a new car every time my tires wear out so I don't have to go thru the stress of handling scratched rims.

Dealer did something VERY similar to 3 of my 4 rims. He ended up replacing them. Same story, it's all plastic and never touches the rim... blah blah blah....

How come they can mount 4 X 100's of cars a day at the factory with nary a scratch, but some dumbass can't do it without inevitably messing them up when you take it in.

I'm about ready to get some new tires mounted on my Cobalt SS wheels. I'm going to make it a point to ask the manager if they can do it without scratching them. If he says yes, I will take pictures of them while he's standing there. Tired of this ****.

·
Move over >
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seriously!

WHY THE F&*K can't people put tires on rims without messing them up?!!!

I'm tired of it. I guess I'll just get a new car every time my tires wear out so I don't have to go thru the stress of handling scratched rims.

Dealer did something VERY similar to 3 of my 4 rims. He ended up replacing them. Same story, it's all plastic and never touches the rim... blah blah blah....

How come they can mount 4 X 100's of cars a day at the factory with nary a scratch, but some dumbass can't do it without inevitably messing them up when you take it in.

I'm about ready to get some new tires mounted on my Cobalt SS wheels. I'm going to make it a point to ask the manager if they can do it without scratching them. If he says yes, I will take pictures of them while he's standing there. Tired of this ****.
Thank you! Ah, that makes me fell better, kinda...

the company is "north bay automotive" its a local chain in marin county with locations in Novato, san rafael, and mill valley (northern california bay area)

·
That's ME!
4,022 Posts
Heh... sorry, I feel your pain. Sorry it happened to you and the manager won't take care of it for ya.

I had to vent cause I'm stressing about my upcoming tire change. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts