Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read through the other tire discussion in this area, but didn't want to interrupt with a semi-unrelated question since that discussion is more grip/wear oriented.

I have a fully stock suspension GT, and I run at an autocross a few events per year. I came across a perfect set of Camaro 20" takeoff wheels for under $500, I'm just debating about whether or not to commit to them. I know I like them appearance-wise, and there are plenty of tire sizes listed in the wheel&tire thread that don't rub, but I feel like that thread only applies to street driving. I'd probably go with like a 275/35-20 in the rear and a 255/35-20 in front. The height wont be any different from stock, just a bit more width and less sidewall all around. Does anyone think its gonna be an issue putting that much extra tire into the wheelwell and still flopping around on stock swaybars? Also, any reasons this setup should be avoided? Such as too little sidewall...?

I'm thinking either go for this setup, or put the money I save by not buying these into nicer tires to go on my 19" GT wheels this season. The last thing I'd want is to not make autocross events this summer due to rubbing under body roll.

(I realize this just turned into a glorified "will it rub" thread lol ... never thought I'd post one of these.)

·
Registered
848 Posts
The bigger issue with less sidewall is the tire rolling over enough in the corners to allow the rim to contact the pavement? I ran some 265/35-19 tires and looking at pictures taken of my car mid-corner I got pretty close.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh wow, that's true too, I didn't even think of that.... Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, yeah that pretty much makes up my mind. I knew it was already a rough idea just going by the signatures of the people posting in this area, so that should be enough confirmation.

Sounds like I'm just going to shop for stock sized tires that would normally be a tier above my range then, with the money I'm saving on wheels lol.

(Awesome pic and gorgeous car by the way)

·
Registered
848 Posts
If you want an unsolisited opinion.. My favorite street/track tire so far for heavy cars running 19" wheels has been the Bridgestone RE-11. Great tire on the street and track. On the track pump them up to somewhere around 46psi.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've been bouncing back and forth between the RE-11 and the Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 265/35/19 all around on 19x9's. Thoughts?

(sorry for the threadjack)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts