Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lord of Brap
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started claying cars so it is new to me. I have only done a few cars. I was using clay from a company called SilverWax up here in Canada. I thought it was good stuff. It was more expensive than the mothers kit but less than Adams. I bought mothers detail spray because at the time I didn't know you needed the lube. I did my silver jetta it looked great after. I then waxed with their mirror effect wax paste and WoW was it shiny after I was happy. I also did my Gf's red truck it looked very good too and she was happy that and said "it is smother than a babys ass". Now I am almost out of clay and it is almost a bottle of detail a car. So everyone was saying Adams is amazing and I am thinking about trying it. They have this new clay called Visco and I was wondering if anyone ever used it? I want to clay the G8 and I have heard bad rumors about claying black? Are they true about marring and sratching? Also does the waterless crap work? My car gets extremely dusty. Lastly is Adams detail/clay lube better than others? Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I love the adams stuff. Had a PbM for 7 years and always use adams. Clay bar deep cleans and then you come back over and polish. I always get great results.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I had never used Adams stuff until recently and was afraid to drink the kool-aid, but I finally drank it and liked it. It's worth it.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Adam's is the best and has the best customer service!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Don't worry about clay barring on black vehicles. As long as the clay bar is free of dirt/contaminants and you are using enough lubricant, damage shouldn't occur.

But to be fair, there are probably some light scratches you already noticed. But that's the downfall of owning a black vehicle.

A little buffing will go a long way. Watch some of the instructional videos from Adams and the Junkman, they are good knowledgeable people.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
People seem to like adams. I myself have never used it. I've used all kinds and done all kinds of paints, including the mothers kit which worked fine for me.

If you want to save money. Just use a really mild soap and water as a lubricant. After you give it a Theroux wash. Dont dry it and fill a spray bottle with about 5 percent car wash soap and 90 percent water. I always rinse each panal after i clay.

Also, matt is right about just making sure you are using a clean bar. If you set it down on something or drop it and get contaminate in the clay, you can scratch it.

When you clay a car, you are stripping the old wax and polish currently on the car. So that will expose things. Especially on black. Its like a second job owning a black car.

Be sure to fold the clay over after it starts to show dirt build up . It is meant to last only so long and after a while you gotta discard it due to dirt build up over time. When you get a bar. Break it in half or thirds given the size of the bar. That way if you drop it, you didn't just waste a whole bar.

There are a lot of companies making clay bar and a few other methods to clay. I preder clay myself.

Well , best of luck with whichever company you choose for clay!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Never tried a clay bar, me being the being the luckiest guy in the world, there's always that fear of taking it right down to the primer by mistake....
Never seem to find and Adam's products around here, can find Meguair's and Mothers all over the place.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Rules for clay bar!
1) Use lots of lubricant
2) If it touches the ground, throw it away immediately!
3) Do the Baggie Test before and after

PS, check out Adam's 110% guarantee!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I only use Adam's Products on my car. I have performed the paint correction twice in 7 years. Clay bar once a year. Wax twice a year. Wash almost every weekend. Looks show room fresh.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I've used many different clays over the years and have settled onto Shine Supply for clay and their Clay Lube. Seriously, it's the best stuff that I have put my hands on. The ease of contamination removal is very good and you really have to try to think about marring the paint using those two products. Be sure to give them a look into and if you have any questions Jeremy is great at answering any questions you may have.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just started claying cars so it is new to me. I have only done a few cars. I was using clay from a company called SilverWax up here in Canada. I thought it was good stuff. It was more expensive than the mothers kit but less than Adams. I bought mothers detail spray because at the time I didn't know you needed the lube. I did my silver jetta it looked great after. I then waxed with their mirror effect wax paste and WoW was it shiny after I was happy. I also did my Gf's red truck it looked very good too and she was happy that and said "it is smother than a babys ass". Now I am almost out of clay and it is almost a bottle of detail a car. So everyone was saying Adams is amazing and I am thinking about trying it. They have this new clay called Visco and I was wondering if anyone ever used it? I want to clay the G8 and I have heard bad rumors about claying black? Are they true about marring and sratching? Also does the waterless crap work? My car gets extremely dusty. Lastly is Adams detail/clay lube better than others? Thank you for your time.
Clay bar by nature will/can leave small scratches behind. That's why the process of using clay is to come back with a polish and a machine afterwards to clean that all up. The clay's purpose is to remove contaminants on the paint and leave you with a smooth surface to start with. Clay in it of itself is not a polisher and will not correct your paint. Adams is good stuff, I use it regularly. The visco is also good. The design of the tool is to help remove large amounts of contaminants better than any other.

For clay lube but a large jug of ONR and mix it to your specific dilutions. Its cheap by the jug. Save your expensive detail sprays for detailing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've not used the new Adam's Clay, but I did use the older one. I can't say enough good things about all the products from Adam's. Since I first tried them a few years ago, I don't use anything else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts