Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have completed a DOD or AFM delete, level 1 cam, Kooks headers and X pipe. Now I need to figure out the axle back. As I read up, I'm thinking the Solo axle back is not much more than a J pipe (no muffler). Since I have done the DOD delete I'm thinking I won't have the drone problem, and therefore won't need the benefit of the J pipe. Correct?

If so, what muffler options are left? GXP, Magnaflow and ? Whatever I get has to bolt on behind the axle. So I'm thinking I can't easily use Borla or Corsa, as I don't see bolt on options.

Thoughts and recommendations welcome.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The "J" is tuned to mellow the tone when in 8 cyl mode. It really doesn't do much in 4 cyl mode based on my experience.

ron

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
J pipes have no effect on the AFM changeover drone. Only the 1800 rpm drone.
Many folks love the GXP mufflers with headers. I lent mine to a forum member and he liked it so much he bought a set. Worth a try!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Glad to see this thread. I have a full OBX system waiting to be installed and picked up some GXP axlebacks just for it, replacing the Solo axlebacks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Magna - Drone

The DOD delete is done. Kooks headers and x-pipe installed. New cam. Getting tuned today. I put my old axle back Magnaflow mufflers back on and I still have the loud drone at 1,800 to 2,000 rpm. I'd love to put on Borla or Corsa but they don't offer an axle back option. Maybe I have to go with the Solo J pipe to be sure the drone is gone. I hear GXP a lot, but gotta think that option is going to restrict flow and steal some HP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts