Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Dos Pupusas
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always had decently quick cars in the past as daily drivers. I purchased the G8 thinking "this is it, no more modding for me". My friends always tease me about how I always change my mind and needless to say this time it's no different.

I was looking at the G8 engine bay and we were brainstorming some ideas. I thought that a single turbocharger will do the trick. Plus it will look really nice in the engine bay.
My ultimate goal has always been owning a 1,000whp car. This is the car that will make this happen. I can feel it. It will start out slow, but as time and funds allow, it will get better. I'm no stranger to modifying cars. I've actually done this same thing several times in the past. Here is a couple of examples:

A Holset VGT set-up

Here is a forward facing set-up, this one had a Holset HX35/40 turbo on it.

And another forward facing set-up

Ideally, I'd like to start small. I'm thinking somewhere in the 550-600whp range. Then get serious.
This is what I have in mind to start:

Engine
-Stock :boink:

Fuel System
-ID1000's
-Twin Bosch 044's
-2 Liter Fuel Surge Tank
- -8 AN Fuel Feed
-Weldon FPR
-Some Aftermarket Fuel Rails
- A Metric Ton of E85

Air Supply
-BW s372r w/ Race Cover
-Precision 66mm Gate
-TiAL 50mm BOV
-SomeChangNeese 4" Core Intercooler
-3" Charge Piping

It will grow as my need for more power grows.

Son, I am excite.

Soon.jpg

Any suggestions?
Comments?
AmIdoinItRite?

·
Dos Pupusas
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you do all the fab work on those other builds, it looks pretty clean. Keep us posted I like the idea of a single monster turbo.
Yes.
It's usually three of us and lots of beer.
I like to modify things. If I think I can make them better I do it. I also like to make things if they're not offered.

Whats your plans for wheels/tires to put the power to the ground.
Slicks? :dunno:

·
Dos Pupusas
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At this point I'm waiting on the turbocharger (which should show up this evening), concentric T's and the 2 1/2" SCH 10 piping. I also have the 3" oval tubing for the downpipe which is not in this pic.
If all goes well, fabbing should start this saturday.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
looks like a t3 flange, that so?

I'm redoing my hot-side from the exh. mani to the turbos, and I'm going smaller(2") to aid in heat and velocity, but I'm concerned with how i need to oval out down by the flange, doing a v-band on the mani, and the t3 with a gasket for the turbo side, just trying to conceptualize a clean transition there.

·
Dos Pupusas
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Absolutely awesome, shame I don't live up there anymore I would love to see this in person. Keep us updated!
For sure!
Where did you live?

looks like a t3 flange, that so?

I'm redoing my hot-side from the exh. mani to the turbos, and I'm going smaller(2") to aid in heat and velocity, but I'm concerned with how i need to oval out down by the flange, doing a v-band on the mani, and the t3 with a gasket for the turbo side, just trying to conceptualize a clean transition there.
The flange is a T4.

Care to share some pics?
If you have twins, then they must be by your transmission.
How strong does it need to be?
Can you get away with "0.065 tubing?
Are the gates attached to this transition?

How about something like this?

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
For sure!
Where did you live?

The flange is a T4.

Care to share some pics?
If you have twins, then they must be by your transmission.
How strong does it need to be?
Can you get away with "0.065 tubing?
Are the gates attached to this transition?

How about something like this?

Lived in Montgomery, worked in Newburgh.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
i'll post up some pics when i get home from work, i don't have support on em so i'd like something strong, but, ultimately, it just has to work.

looks like in that pick you just bend and crimped the pipe, i was lookin for almost oval at that point, and round into it... the cross section at the widest point of the flange is 2.3700" iirc, so goin with a 2" pipe from the collector on the factory manifold would be "stretching" so i'm seeing about sectioning pipe and welding or ???

again just trying to conceptualize how i'm gonna do it... my fab guy and i cant make a schedule work so i may go it alone... DUN DUHHHH DUNNNNN

·
There was one?
2,310 Posts
Subscribed..... looking forward to the build....

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
^^^
I see.
Will you be making new exhaust manifolds, or modifying the stock ones?
Also, are you buying new v-band exhaust housings for the turbos?
keeping manifolds, i found some ported stock ones that are ceramic coated, i'll be v-banding the manifold side and sticking with the t3 flanges and gaskets on the turbo, the rest of the exhaust is all v-band.

·
Dos Pupusas
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^^ I see.

Got a few more 2-1/2" fittings and the turbo.

The only thing that I'm lacking now is a used waste gate and a used EFI Live Flash Scan V2.
I might change to a 44mm/50mm gate. These 66mm gates don't pop up often.
I'll keep you guys posted. Oh, the ARP head studs should be here any day now.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts