Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well plastic days and tracks lost the end of part hose fits over on the top. Only lost the about 1/4 of an inch. The expanded portion that helps stop the hose clamp from backing off. Any repairs possible without replacing radiator?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
No. Replace the radiator. If you put a hose back on that, you'll blow it off and will instantly regret the repair decision. Mine deteriorated at some point through 140K and the hose blew off of the top spilling the vast majority of coolant.

Don't cut corners on your cooling system.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Also, the radiator replacement is extremely easy. It is literally a cost decision and nothing more.

Aftermarket radiators require more work. OEM will drop right in with ease.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any recommendations... dealer 649.99 radiator express 190 shipped. Any other parts might need?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You can get it from Rock Auto for $455 with $13 for shipping to Lincoln, NE. It's the OEM (1 remaining).

Or you can go with GM Parts direct, but shipping will be more since they're in Wilmington, NC. GM Parts Giant is a dealership in Ohio.

Your dealership has the core charge included, obviously.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
As far as other parts, just check to be sure your hose clips are still okay. They should be fine, but worth checking.

There shouldn't be any need for additional parts beyond that. If the insulator strip on the bottom peels off you can just glue it back on with some spray adhesive.

Just be careful of the clips on the bottom of the fan shroud that hold the transmission lines.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Coldcase aluminum. G8 only sells them for $379. I'd just check it won't cause any issues with the Vararam.

Edit: I just checked and they are on back order, sorry.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Totally forgot to mention that one. :D

I have it, and it requires some reworking to get it in, and still may need some spacing to get the lower hose connection to remain free of impacting the lower frame.

Still, it is a nice radiator. Sucks that it is on back order.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Exactly what happened with mine. I went with a Rock Auto unit. but I had to re-use the lower radiator adaptor fitting. I wasn't thrilled to do that but the new radiator didn't come with one. The install wasn't hard but tedious to get all the stuff out of the way w/o breaking it.

For the week I had to wait for the replacement, I put the hose back on and double clamped the upper house with worm drive clamps. It was fine for a temp solution

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
The current Ac Delco radiator on the G8 was replaced after an accident and has leaked periodically ever since. Recently, began to question their overall part quality due to variety of unrelated experiences. Wouldn't spend almost $470 on one of their radiators unless it was the only viable option available. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked one up from 1800radiators. The have great prices. Cost was just under 170.00. Local pick up as well. The only hiccup was they gave me a 2009.5 radiator. Fits the same except holds more pressure and my old cap did not fit. Had buy a new one with a 20 psi rating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts