Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a class I hidden hitch tongue weight 200lbs towing weight 2000lbs and I use it for my bicycle rack.

I have a small 375lb utility trailer.

Can I tow a ride on mower weight around 650lbs?

I'm trying to figure out how the weight distribution works and how to calculate for the 200lb tongue weight limit.

·
Proud owner
1,196 Posts
You can tow 2000 pounds right? Your setup is only 1050 pounds you say... You’re good for towing weight, so just make sure your tongue weight doesn’t seem like more than 200 pounds. Put the tongue of your loaded trailer on a scale if you have to.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
+1. Easiest thing to do is to use a bathroom scale and measure the tongue weight. Move the load forward or rearward to adjust the tongue weight. And make sure the load is strapped down so it doesn't move.

I can derive an equation to calculate the tongue weight but you have to know the position of the CG (center of gravity) between the front and back wheels of the mower and also the actual weight of the mower plus the trailer axle to hitch length. Not worth it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Spam post.

As to OP's question, you're asking if it's OK to tow 650 pounds with a 4,000 pound 400 HP car? Really? I've towed 4,000 pounds with a 2,500 pound 100 HP vehicle.

Bro this thread is 4 months old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts