Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior Member Mike
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

I was driving down the highway today and I received a TPMS fault warning in the DIC. I recently put on new wheels and tires (had TPMS sensors installed) and did not do a complete calibration of the TPMS system..and suprisingly I have gone 2 weeks without issue and the DIC was giving me proper air pressure readings on all 4 tires.

I am guessing that I need to perform a TPMS calibration with these new wheels/tires in order to solve this issue?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Senior Member Mike
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Are you saying that all 4 OEM sensors were re-installed in the new wheels ? Before posting a thought or two, it would be nice to know if they are the OEMs or 4 new units.

I purchased (4) TSW wheels with new tires and all new TPMS sensors...all installed by DTD and shipped to me. I took off my stock wheels/tires and installed these aftermarket wheels/tires....but did not do a TPMS calibration and all seemed fine for 2 weeks...until today.

I will do the relearn process later this morning..probably will fix the issue.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
It would have been nice if the service manual had included a few of the *what if this situation took place* scenario, and stated what the outcome would be. But it does say that if power is *not* lost from the car, that it can only recognize the ID an pressure values from those 4 OEM sensors last report in the static (not moving) mode. That if (in that condition) any position changes more than 1.2 psi up/down, it will send out a new tire pressure reading for the BCM to analyze to see if it has reduced or exceeded the allowable psi range to turn on the tire icon, and also display that new tire value. When they are removed, the car might still *only* remember the last report from them (but for how long, I have no idea).
There may be a time clock device effect in the BCM, Like if, I don't see a pressure change or a tire rolling report for X amount of time from any of the 4 remembered sensor IDs, I'm going to illuminate the tire Icon. Its amazing how interesting this system is. Yet it is so confusing when things happen within it.

But without a doubt, any rotation of the OEM sensors or the replacement of 1 or more sensors, demands a tire re-learn procedure be performed for the RCDLR an BCM to read and report tire psi and position correctly.

·
Senior Member Mike
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey there,

I did the relearn process and everything seems to be ok. One thing though, I let the air out for 15-20 sec on each tire and no confirmation honk. So I just stopped waited and about 10-15 sec after I stopped letting the air out did the vehicle give me a confirmation honk. I am hoping it is not reading my stock tires/wheels which were about 10 feet away! LOL I know this is not possible..lol

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Since the OEM sensors were so near, the car *might* still have been trying to monitor *them*, while you were trying to eliminate them and ID the new sensors. it sounds a lot like that, due to the lag time of the horn during the re-set procedure. Since you need to be where the air supply *is*, I think you best roll the OEM wheels away (say 100 ft or more) when the re-set is performed. Once recognized, then the location of the OEM wheels/tires won't matter. If your confident that it worked this time, OK. But if the light returns down the line, you best keep some distance between your car and the old wheels, until programed. This way you would know for sure that the car recognized the *new* sensors.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Good day,

I was driving down the highway today and I received a TPMS fault warning in the DIC. I recently put on new wheels and tires (had TPMS sensors installed) and did not do a complete calibration of the TPMS system..and suprisingly I have gone 2 weeks without issue and the DIC was giving me proper air pressure readings on all 4 tires.

I am guessing that I need to perform a TPMS calibration with these new wheels/tires in order to solve this issue?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Same exact thing with me. Right at 2weeks with no light then got on today. Performed the relearn and all is good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts