Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The issue I'm having is not due to putting new wheels on and needing the tpms sensors relearned. One day the light started flashing and "TPMS system fault" popped up. Went to my display to see the tire pressures and all 4 were "--". About 30 minutes later all 4 readings came back. This weekend I drove 4 hours and 2 or 3 times this happened. Restarting the car does not fixing it, but eventually it starts working again.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have only had 1 crap out. Worked but gave false readings. Replaced it works like a charm.

·
Premium Member
4,179 Posts
The manual says when you receive a 1 minute flashing display which switches over to a steady display, you have picked up a fault code within that system. The cancellation action of that *display* is confusing to me as to when *it* will go out (if it does while your driving along). That active fault apparently is erased, but it says it would remain in memory until you had 100 successful ignition cycles, then it would clear. *IF* you could get a fault code readback, you could see if it displays a code between C0569 to C0750. Those are the faults assigned to the TPMS system. From those faults, we might be able to dial in on the intermittent condition that's causing your problem.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only have a standard code reader, but a friend of mine has a "fancier" code reader from Snap on that has access to more computers on the car...Perhaps this will tell me the Cxxxx codes?

·
Registered
856 Posts
I get the same TPMS system failure a lot. Usually on drives longer than an hour, and the failure lasts anywhere from 10 minutes to several hours. I couldn't reproduce the failure for the dealer so the car went out of warranty before it could be even investigated. Pretty irritating.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine popped on this morning as well while taking it on the interstate for the first time since i have owned the car. Is there a way i can enter the system to either reset it or try and retreive the code?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi. I've been experiencing the same thing. It happened on long, fast freeway drives. The first couple times it would reset and go away. The last time it stayed on. I just finished swapping my trans with an M6 and I thought disconnecting the battery for a couple weeks would reset it. But I started yesterday for the first time and the fault was still there. I'll be playing with it and let you know. If nothing else, I'll go into HPTuners and turn off the CEL.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Old batteries?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't think its battery's. I get the failure message only occasionally. Then it resets and all is good. The tires are original and never removed so I ruled out sensor damage.
What is the life expectancy of the sensor battery's?

·
Registered
841 Posts
They were designed to have a life of around 10 years. But the majority of them fail after around 4-5 years.

Later GM vehicles changed the way the system worked to conserve battery life.

I don't think its battery's. I get the failure message only occasionally. Then it resets and all is good. The tires are original and never removed so I ruled out sensor damage.
What is the life expectancy of the sensor battery's?

·
Premium Member
4,179 Posts
"deb0650" >>>>> The RCDLR is supposed to retain the last 4 known Tpms sensor ID's, even if power to them is lost or removed on purpose. If you sill are using the same 4 sensors, the unit should still have them. The fact that all the doors can still be locked an unlocked (as well as tripping the trunk lock actuator), is a good indication that all the functions in your RCDLR seem to be available. But maybe the 4 TPMS sensor ID's were wiped clean from the receivers memory (due to that extended time frame of no power to it). Normally you get a 1 minute flashing Icon that then reverts to a steady Icon, when it senses a problem. A steady Icon at ignition turn on, is an indication that a relearn *is* needed/required. If you have one of the EL-50448 type learning tool (an they work real good), it would only take about 1 to 2 minutes to complete (as long as *all* of the transponders are still working correctly).

If you have a device that can turn the tire Icon off, maybe it would also tell you what fault code it sensed, to cause the light in the first place.

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
When the tire pressure monitoring sensor fault appears, scroll to the tire pressure display and see which sensor(s) have an inaccurate reading or show "--" for a numerical value. Regarding battery life, shelf is +/- nine years and recommend buying new units with presumably "fresher batteries" if the need arises. The original set of sensors lasted around nine years before displaying inaccurate tire pressure readings and sporadically being unable to communicate with the body control module.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Noticed on my drive to work this morning (yes - it was bitchin shifting gears!) that my tpms is working again but my ds rear was no signal. So maybe I'll try replacing it. Where did you buy them for $12? part number? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The issue I'm having is not due to putting new wheels on and needing the tpms sensors relearned. One day the light started flashing and "TPMS system fault" popped up. Went to my display to see the tire pressures and all 4 were "--". About 30 minutes later all 4 readings came back. This weekend I drove 4 hours and 2 or 3 times this happened. Restarting the car does not fixing it, but eventually it starts working again.

Any ideas?
one bad wheel sensor can set the fault code.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Go into Engineering mode and look at the TPMS system. The bad sensor will be shown as having a really high pressure. Something like 147 psi. (I think)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I will say that in my 10 plus years of ownership now, I have had a tpms for one or more times come on a handful of times, with the initial sensors and and the new ones that I just put on when I finally swapped out the original tires. Annoying as hell but in the end I just let it ride and they always have come back on. I think it is a gremlin in the system on the reading side and not the sensors themselves. I also have a similar gremlin that changes my readings to metric on my hacked Atari gauges but thankfully it goes back to standard on the next start up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts