Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if any body as seen this and what to do. The traction control is on then when you drive for a ways it goes off. When it goes off I can not turn it back on unless I stop and turn vehicle off. Then the process starts all over again. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Labatt

·
Registered
456 Posts
It might be a problem with a wheel speed sensor. Though it should throw a code when one goes bad. Is the CEL light on? Take it to an auto parts store that can pull the codes for you.

-Dennis-

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is a CEL? The screen in the dash indicates that the traction control is off. There are no engine light on. I can get codes checked.

·
Registered
187 Posts
CEL: Check Engine Light

Sent from my HTC One X using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Are you getting the " Stability Control Off" message displayed, which then minimizes to "esp off" at the lower left of the DIC? If so, the system saw something it didn't like.
For example, if it turned off somewhere during the first 1/2 to 2 mile area of driving, it looks like it would have been caused by the VSES senors initialization period. If it flunked, you would get that message, an it would stay that way until ignition turn off. Then it would reset itself at the next ignition turn on, an go thru the process again. It may pass the next time, and your good to go. Or it could flunk again, an annoy you, as well as being "inop" for that drive cycle.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You brake lights arent on all the time are they? There was a recall similar to this a while back and it effected cruise control. Check and see if your brake lights are engaged all the time. Dealer can prob reprogram and fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anybody have any idea of why my car is pulling back and forth when I take off and then sometimes I go to step on the gas and it won't go? Oh and how do I fix the stability controll problem with it going off while I'm driving?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Do you have a service light on? It might be that a bad wheel sensor is a fault here. Take it to shop and find out. Traction control relies on wheel speed sensors. If 1 of them is bad or intermittent TC will shut off.

-Dennis-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you have a service light on? It might be that a bad wheel sensor is a fault here. Take it to shop and find out. Traction control relies on wheel speed sensors. If 1 of them is bad or intermittent TC will shut off.

-Dennis-
Thank you I thought that's what it might be but I wasn't positive.the service light isn't on. Do you have any idea of why when I take off it kind of pulls back and the rpms will go up and down and my foot isn't moving up and down on the pedal it's steady then as I'm driving I will push the gas pedal all the way down and it won't go any faster

·
Registered
456 Posts
Not believing in coincidences, I would say the same wheel speed sensor. If it is flakey it could be telling the ECU that the wheel is spinning which would cause TC to cut the throttle and appy brake to that wheel.

-Dennis-

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
You maybe should locate an auto parts store that has a somewhat higher level scan/code reader that will check for any codes set (many do), for free. There have been a few owners that have had a wheel speed sensor (almost always a rear wheel), and a few that have had the wire harness routed to them go bad (broken wires, excessive corrosion). Wheel speed sensor faults do not turn on the MIL (check engine light). But certain wheel speed sensor faults can produce the symptoms you are talking about. I'm thinking you might have a fault code(s) set in memory, of something like *C0045 or C0050*. Those are faults that the left and right rear wheel speed sensors would send out. Easy to verify, if you can find a friendly parts store near you, that says they can pull up ABS fault codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You maybe should locate an auto parts store that has a somewhat higher level scan/code reader that will check for any codes set (many do), for free. There have been a few owners that have had a wheel speed sensor (almost always a rear wheel), and a few that have had the wire harness routed to them go bad (broken wires, excessive corrosion). Wheel speed sensor faults do not turn on the MIL (check engine light). But certain wheel speed sensor faults can produce the symptoms to are talking about. I'm thinking you might have a fault code(s) set in memory, of something like *C0045 or C0050*. Those are faults that the left and right rear wheel speed sensors would send out. Easy to verify, if you can find a friendly parts store near you, that says they can pull up ABS fault codes.
Ok thank you :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts