Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some advice... what do you think of this price/deal? I'm in love with this car! http://www.fletcherjonesaudi.com/used/BMW/2009-BMW-335-96c3af370a0a000200ccadbd5adffcab.htm

It's a 2009 BMW 335i Convertible, 22k miles, asking $35,000. Right now I currently still owe 8k on my GT. My car has 45k miles...for trade value, they will give me $19,300, so add it all up, it would look something like this...

$35,000
-$19,300 trade value
$15,700
+$8,000 still owed
$23,700.00 Purchase price

Is it worth it? Ultimately my car payments would stay about the same if I did another 5 year loan. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Very nice car. Seems to be in good shape and the hard top is a nice touch. I'd be more concerned when the warranty runs out. You'll still probably be making payments and beemers are brutal for repair work. I have a friend who loves BMWs and has driven them his whole life, but he has always leased, never purchased one because of the costs to repair down the road.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Karl, yeah I've always been a BMW lover, never owned one and thought this would finally be my chance. But like you mentioned, I've also heard that from others about the repair costs being high... even for small issues.

I love the Hard Top too although I have to imagine that that thing alone has over hundreds of moving parts... so it does worry me about future potential repair scenarios. being that the factory warranty looks like it ends 11/13/2012.

But damn, I just keep picturing myself cruising that car with the top down this summer.... decisions decisions!

More feedback anyone?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Make sure you get a warranty. That HPFP issue on the BMW I-6 Turbo engines is proving pesky to exorcise. Nice cars though!

·
****cray
2,199 Posts
i'd keep the g8, pay it off, and enjoy not having a
car payment for the next 5 yrs.

having said that, my buddy just bought an 08 just
like that minus the hard top, and it is a super
sweet ride.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll never buy another German car. The end.
Hey Hornetball, can I hear your experience as to why? Just curious...

I'm glad I posted on here before making the move on the car, getting a lot of feedback making me think otherwise. The sweetness of that car is just making it hard to pass up, but I am starting to agree with a lot of you about just waiting.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've owned two MB's. There are some things that I like. They are definitely well-built with excellent materials. Also, thanks to the autobahn, Germans place emphasis on large, comfortable cars that have a lot of power and handle well. If not for the Germans, I doubt a car like the G8 would even exist.

But, German cars are way too complicated. In some instances, they are complicated for the sake of complexity -- in fact, complexity is part of their marketing theme. The ones I've owned were V-8's. Huge, complex, overhead cam aluminum mills that liked to skip teeth on timing chains and self-destruct. Don't even get me started on the expense of repair parts, the lack of mechanics that could competently fix the cars, and how much those incompetent mechanics thought they were worth. Auto transmission on a German car?? Forget it (should have gone manual -- but wife's car). Electronics on a German car?? Precisely engineered to last for the warranty period.

American and Japanese cars are MUCH better for the long haul. And, you gotta love the compactness, simplicity, reliability and power of a good ol' big-cube, pushrod, torquemonster all-American V-8. The electronics just work -- even 30 years down the road. The transmissions work too (especially with a tune).

Now to go off topic. I thank God that German engineers are the way they are. If it weren't for their penchant for complexity, WWII might have come out differently. However, you have to understand that it is a national characteristic. Given the choice between a complex solution vs. a simple, functional solution, the German engineer will go complex every time. Initially, you'll love the complexity. In the end, you'll rue it.

Back on topic, as long as you're under warranty, it should be an OK experience. But, if you like keeping your cars longer term, history says that a Pontiac will be working a lot better and be much cheaper to keep up 10 years down the road than a Bimmer, especially since Bimmers these days try to out-tech MB.

These are my experiences and opinions. YMMV.

·
2009 G8 GXP
446 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hornetball, very interesting insight!! Thanks for that!

And that video... hahaha I remember that on TV when the G8 first came out... love it!

·
****cray
2,199 Posts
i dont know about the "bad exhaust" they claim in that vid.
stock, my g8 was quieter than a quief on the front row @
sunday school. borderline ridiculous.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
elephantrider
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing