Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm sorry to say, I am trading my G8 GXP for *ahem* another car.

The dealer is offering me 30500 (after walking out and talking on the phone for a few days). NADA trade in value is $31700 for my area.

Yes it stung and I initially felt offended, but I am saving a lot of money in taxes by trading it in rather than selling it out right.

Have any of you attempted to trade in your GXP, and what were you offered?

TIA

·
That's ME!
4,021 Posts
30.5K doesn't seem that outta line IMO.

Also, I don't understand these states where you HAVE to trade it in to get the tax break.

In MO, you can sell anything with a tag on it, trailer, old cars etc. (to anyone) and combine all those sales to reduce your tax liability on the new car.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I traded the car in at Bellevue Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep in Washington for a Challenger SRT8.

I got $30,500 trade in. With the price I got on the car (end of the year), I was satisfied with the trade in value. They should be listing it in a few for those interested in a super clean M6 White hot GXP.

·
Registered
377 Posts
^+1. Why trade it in so soon? I thought you just bought it a couple months ago.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I purchased the GXP in July with 4800 miles.

I loved the GXP and will miss it. However, sitting in the Challenger reminded me of my old 1970 Buick Skylark (the good parts, lol). The GXP is faster (seat of the pants), handles better, but the feeling I get sitting behind the Challenger can't be beat. And the sound of the hemi... wow. Dodge managed to do an awesome job of giving you the feeling of an old school muscle car with all the amenities of a modern day car.

The funny part is that we went there looking for a Jeep for my girlfriend. She wanted to take a test drive in the Challenger just to say she drove one.

Personally, I think she planned it... :p

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sorry to see that I test drove the Challenger Was not inpressed and the Dealer wanted 2000. and my g8 LOL
Then I test drove the 2011 mustang gt I liked it and they offered me a 27500
but in 15 years the mustang will be worth 500 and the G8 hopefully will be a collectors
Plus both the mustang and the challenger have a choped roof line and in the Summer time with the window down your elbow will be at a 45 upward angle Sorry to see U let your G8 go

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Enjoy the new Challenger! The new SRT challenger should blow the doors off any stock G8 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH_I_Q94S0w

My brother raced the first 392 limited edition SRT8 '11 Challenger and ripped a 12.4 in it, bone stock. I still like my G8 though...lots of blind spots in the Challenger and it feels HUGE! Looks badass though, and sounds much better than a stock G8 (which can be remedied of course).

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
That was done in an auto by the way, not the manual.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh man...the temptation! They just posted it on their website, asking $31,900. Assuming it's in good shape, that's a great price. Man I want that car.

BTW, this is my first post...I've been lurking because I've been in the market for a car (or will be soon), and I think the G8 is the one I'm going to get. The tough thing is, it has to be a manual transmission, which means GXP, which means hard to find.

http://www.cjdbellevue.com/index.cfm?vehicle=2009_Pontiac_G8&action=InventorySearch&subaction=SearchDetailUsed&InventoryID=17711936&inventorytype=Used&preauctionsearch=&fromSearchList&PhotoType=0

·
That's ME!
4,021 Posts
Enjoy the new Challenger! The new SRT challenger should blow the doors off any stock G8 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH_I_Q94S0w

My brother raced the first 392 limited edition SRT8 '11 Challenger and ripped a 12.4 in it, bone stock. I still like my G8 though...lots of blind spots in the Challenger and it feels HUGE! Looks badass though, and sounds much better than a stock G8 (which can be remedied of course).
Is that video from your brothers run? I didn't see the time at the big end and from the video, it looks like it leaves the line at around the 29-30 second mark and it trips the lights at around the 43 second mark.

·
That's ME!
4,021 Posts
Oh man...the temptation! They just posted it on their website, asking $31,900. Assuming it's in good shape, that's a great price. Man I want that car.

BTW, this is my first post...I've been lurking because I've been in the market for a car (or will be soon), and I think the G8 is the one I'm going to get. The tough thing is, it has to be a manual transmission, which means GXP, which means hard to find.

http://www.cjdbellevue.com/index.cfm?vehicle=2009_Pontiac_G8&action=InventorySearch&subaction=SearchDetailUsed&InventoryID=17711936&inventorytype=Used&preauctionsearch=&fromSearchList&PhotoType=0
So what are you waiting for? Here's the car you said you want. You better go get it. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is an awesome deal for who ever buys it. It was detailed 3 months ago, and I turned in the service requests with the car. Never autocrossed, never drag raced.

Wow, I am surprised they are selling it so cheap.

BTW, I listed it in my other post in the NW section- Mike Paulson is the one that took my trade in and who I bought the Challenger from. He's a good guy to do business with. His number is 425-736-5440.

·
Registered
377 Posts
That is an awesome deal for who ever buys it. It was detailed 3 months ago, and I turned in the service requests with the car. Never autocrossed, never drag raced.

Wow, I am surprised they are selling it so cheap.

BTW, I listed it in my other post in the NW section- Mike Paulson is the one that took my trade in and who I bought the Challenger from. He's a good guy to do business with. His number is 425-736-5440.
Wow, I might have to go over there and see if I can test drive it for the hell of it. I have too much negative equity in my GT to trade it in, but it would be nice to see that GXP.

BTW the Challenger SRT-8 is a nice car and I test drove one before buying my G8 a year ago. I decided against it because my girlfriend's dad bought a V6 Challenger and has had nothing but problems with it. He's already on his 3rd fuel in 5,000 miles and has an extremely loud rattle coming from his dash that every dealership he takes it into claims they don't hear it, so no one will fix it. Other than that, the SRT-8 was extremely powerful and a definite head-turner.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry to hear your Girlfriend's Dad is having those issues. Can he get the car replaced under a lemon law since he's had the same issue more than 3 times? (I am assuming Fuel pump?)

I did just have my first eye opener last night though...

I finished break in last week and knew the first fillup was going to be pretty low MPG due to me going up and down in the RPM range. However, I just filled up for the first time while being VERY easy on it (nothing over 2k with the occasional hard pull).

First tank- 12.76mpg
Second tank- 15.10mpg

The GXP now seems like an economy car. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Too funny...your white GXP started out at the dealership listed at $31,990 - they clearly didn't know what they had. A couple days later, they upped the price to $34,990, which is a bit more realistic but still a nice price. I thought that was sort of funny - upping the price on a car usually isn't what happens when they're for sale... Anyway, today I noticed that they've now upped the price AGAIN to $36,990! Too funny. Do I hear 38??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, brutal.

Yes, all I kept hearing was "is that a Pontiac?"

I wonder how many people had their feelings hurt after talking to somebody and then stopping by, only to be told the price went up 4k.

·
high desert road runner
235 Posts
...Also, I don't understand these states where you HAVE to trade it in to get the tax break.
For sure. On cars, New Mexico only has a 3% excise tax, so I figured I could make that up by selling it privately.

But not getting the credit on the next car is a bit of a rip off by the state. After all, they're getting full shot on the new car, and the buyer of my car has to pay tax also. More equitable would be if I could get a tax credit on the sale price of the replaced car. I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
10 Participants
gmgold
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing