Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I had my car tuned by Pat about 3 months ago and all has been great except a month or so ago I started to notice some difference on the 2-3 and occasionally the 3-4 shifts. This week I was in manual mode and did the 2-3 and the flare was very obvious. I want to take my car in for its routine maintenance and also have them check this out. I know there is a tsb, and that it happens more on 2008s (mine) but what is the tsb for the seals, orings and the new covers?

Also, what happens if they find my tranny tune? They just say to go away or do they mark my car as tuned in the computer and no dealership will touch it? I don't wanna screw myself here since I have the extended cpo warranty.

Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Flash the stock tune back before you take it in. Otherwise you will be out of luck because they will scan it when investigating this particular problem based on my experience.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
^x2. Flash everything back, if you don't they'll find. Don't want to lose the warranty!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotcha, what's the best way to go about it. I don't want to drive back to Victoria if I don't have to. Lol. Can I save my tune somehow and load the stockers for a while? Go to a tuner here or what?

Thanks

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Check with Patrick, I believe he has an Autocal you can purchase which would allow you to flash back to stock, then back to the performance tune afterwords.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have a pat g tune but it was done remotely so i have an autocal. Im sure you can buy one from him and do the same thing if you or he has the stock tune saved. I am getting the flare also so i will be flashing stock to take it in. Anyone know how long i can go on the stock tune without a code? I have kooks mids and hfcs which is why i went with the pat g tune over cortex

·
Registered
127 Posts
Anyone know how long i can go on the stock tune without a code? I have kooks mids and hfcs which is why i went with the pat g tune over cortex
You're probably in a tough spot here. I think it will probably just depend on lots of factors, ambient temp, how hard you drive it, etc. Could come on immediately since I've had HF cats that lose efficiency over time or could take a day or a week, just never know for sure. Maybe the dealer won't care about the code that's set, since it shouldn't affect the performance of the transmission and it will be as simple as them pointing it out in case you might want them to fix it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hmm. Wonder if i should i just load the stock tune while at the dealer before i give them the keys?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Shawn, do you happen to know if steve moore or any other gm dealer along the light rail is mod friendly?

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
I'm not familiar with any dealership's service department besides South Charlotte Cadillac.

I guess it all depends on the issue (do your mods have any effect on the warrantable item), and the service writer's mood...

You can always ask to speak to the service manager, they may allow it....again, depends on the mood.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Gotcha. S.c. caddy is pretty close to the light rail. I might try them. I doubt my mild mods have anything to do with a known trans flare. Hopefully they agree

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Gotcha. S.c. caddy is pretty close to the light rail. I might try them. I doubt my mild mods have anything to do with a known trans flare. Hopefully they agree

FWIW, they did a great job with Trigger. Maybe mention my Stealth Blue G8 when taking it in, my writer was Jeff (in the last office).

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
It wont matter if you go back to stock they can still see if it was tuned or not if they want to. But to be safe yes put it back to stock. At least this is what my service manager has told me, if its true I couldn't tell you but I would imagine so. I had my trans in for repair and he mentioned they might have to send the ecm in for GM to check out but thank god they didn't.

·
Registered
322 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
YES, EVEN if you return the tune to stock we can tell the ecm /tcm has had a non gm calibration. For the most part, gm has generally aloud us to still perform repairs on slightly modified vehicles. It is up to our gm Rep as to whether or not you're covered... but then again the tech could always just tell them there were no aftermarket mods and pretend its all factory. Either way the flare on 2-3 upshift is fixed by replacing the pump cover which has a new 2 piece seal design.

Btw, I'm a trans tech at a buick, Pontiac, gmc dealer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey guys I'm pretty new to the modding world and vehicle terminology. What do you'll mean by transmission "flare"?

·
Registered
9 Posts
A trans flare is a momentary rise in engine rpm as the transmission shifts from one gear to another. The six speed is designed to be a really smooth shifting tranny, almost undetectable.

·
Registered
289 Posts
A trans flare is a momentary rise in engine rpm as the transmission shifts from one gear to another. The six speed is designed to be a really smooth shifting tranny, almost undetectable.
So is this the case with you guys: "really smooth shifting tranny, almost undetectable"? I also have a Pat G tune and having pretty bumpy shifts, even back on stock it's very noticeable. I'm also planning on having a dealer look at it soon. Just wondering what these cars are supposed to shift like since I've never been in another one but mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When it's working properly this transmission is very smooth with the exception of an occasional 3rd gear bump even with the new pump cover... So far I have only had to tear into one G8 GT and the customer was complaining of a slip and delayed engagement when placed in gear. I have worked on several trucks with the same trans as the G8 and so far there are very few issues. this is the bulletin for the flare and delayed engagement.
#09-07-30-004I: Slips in Reverse or Third, Delayed Reverse or Drive Engagement, DTC P0776, P2715, P2723, Harsh 2-3 Shifts (Inspect 1-2-3-4 / 3-5-R Housing and Pump Seal Rings) - (May 10, 2012)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Some may be confusing this with firmer shifts from the trans tune? Stock tune is smooth while a tuned tranny is a bit firmer. I have not noticed increase in rpms before it shifts but do notice on occasion going from R to D there's a bit of a jolt

1 - 20 of 28 Posts