Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Interesting bit of info: This weekend I had the trans serviced at almost 100K. For the entire life of the car the trans has had a noises and the frequent flare ... and since about 50K the car seemed sluggish on the downshift requiring more throttle than usual.

Well, since the fluid/filter change, the trans has new life. The surge/flare seems gone and the trans now shifts down quickly and with less throttle input - plus it "feels" like it hooks up and pulls harder (no slip???)

According to the shop - the trans was low on fluid by about 1.5 qts. Funny, I have no leaks and you would have thought the dealer would have checked that on any one of the dozens of visits!!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
All,

Interesting bit of info: This weekend I had the trans serviced at almost 100K. For the entire life of the car the trans has had a noises and the frequent flare ... and since about 50K the car seemed sluggish on the downshift requiring more throttle than usual.

Well, since the fluid/filter change, the trans has new life. The surge/flare seems gone and the trans now shifts down quickly and with less throttle input - plus it "feels" like it hooks up and pulls harder (no slip???)

According to the shop - the trans was low on fluid by about 1.5 qts. Funny, I have no leaks and you would have thought the dealer would have checked that on any one of the dozens of visits!!
Thank you for taking the time to share what the fluid and filter changed helped with. I hope things are still performing as they should.

I have the shift flare on my 2004 Tahoe so I believe I will be talking with my mechanic about this.

Once again, thank you for sharing.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
A lot of our cars came under serviced from the factory. Glad it's running better!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
When I first got my G8 I checked the tranny fluid as soon as I got to work. It was also about 1.5 quarts down. I think a lot were under filled from the factory. I've seen it on a lot of pre delivery inspections. quality control is non existent anymore. Unfortunate mine still has the 2-3 flare. I do have the parts to fix it though. Just need to get some spare time to do it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 6 of 6 Posts