Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The transmission was rebuilt along with a new valve body. They state they need at least a full day to do some computer programming with the valve body. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Doesn't make sense to me. If they replaced the TCM, I think they would need to reprogram to VIN match, but that should be quick. Besides that, they can do the fast adapt learn procedure which takes maybe 5-10 minutes. Maybe they are charging you to drive the car around all day to learn the shifts the slow way?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Doesn't make sense to me. If they replaced the TCM, I think they would need to reprogram to VIN match, but that should be quick. Besides that, they can do the fast adapt learn procedure which takes maybe 5-10 minutes. Maybe they are charging you to drive the car around all day to learn the shifts the slow way?
I would say that is normal. At my shop, we usually try to make sure the vehicle is 100% before giving it back to the customer. There's nothing worse than driving the car for three miles and then handing it back to the customer and then theres a problem during the fifth mile. After a rebuild, we keep cars overnight to verify that there are no leaks and so that we are able to drive them cold the next morning. As far as programming, a full day sounds reasonable, but not overnight.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well I guess that sounds reasonable. I think I read into the original post too much and assumed they were charging a full days labor for programming.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well I guess that sounds reasonable. I think I read into the original post too much and assumed they were charging a full days labor for programming.
Oh yes, I wasn't even thinking about that. If that is the case, RUN!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He gave me the full price out the door. about 2450. it went up from 2100 since the entire valve body was replaced. i heard that the tcm is in the valve body. my inkling is they did not have the correct tool to reprogram the valve body and are scurrying to get one. i am allowing them slack and not questioning them. i am going with the flow to maintain a good working relationship with them.

·
Registered
316 Posts
He gave me the full price out the door. about 2450. it went up from 2100 since the entire valve body was replaced. i heard that the tcm is in the valve body. my inkling is they did not have the correct tool to reprogram the valve body and are scurrying to get one. i am allowing them slack and not questioning them. i am going with the flow to maintain a good working relationship with them.
More than likely you are correct, and they are probably sending it out to be done.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We now have a new plan of action. lol

The technician/manager who took my car in told me to write down all my mods on a sheet of paper. I was honest and he told me there would be a one year/12000 mile warranty.

I finally speak to the owner of the company and we have a frank spirited conversation.

In essence he tells me that there is no warranty since it is not a race transmission.

I told him when I pick it up I of course will pay him. But I will not sign any paperwork that has in it something to the effect that it is not covered if I race/abuse the vehicle.

I get a call this morning. His first sentence was "let's not get off on the wrong foot this morning."

So I listen calmly to him. He wants to rip it apart again and order the following.

red alto clutches, hardened input, intermediate, and output shafts, and a high capacity pump to handle the higher rpms.

Normally he said it would be 4500 out the door with tax, etc. He said he would give me the warranty and it would be 3500-3600 out the door.

I gave him permission to pull it apart again and to do all the work at the discounted price with the warranty.

I sure hope I made the right decision.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Yikes, but sounds like them "doing their homework" HOPEFULLY will result in a stout tranny that handles anything you throw at it.

And get the warrantee in writing. No exceptions.

Keep us updated, hopefully it shifts and feels strong when you get it back, pay attention to any advised "break-in period" and the real test will be first time back to the track.

good luck man

1 - 9 of 9 Posts