Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So back in September my car went into limp mode again. I took it to 2 shops before I actually got a dealer to look at it. He diagnosed a stuck solonoid in the TCM. Since there's no way to replace it, I have to buy another one. I ordered one from TK performance and they seem to be having trouble flashing the TCM with a new tune for my car. Tim said he can send it to me with the stock tune and I can reflash it myself with hptuner, which I don't have. So my question is, can I run a cammed car on the stock TCM tune for a while or do I need to do some more stuff to get it running right? I've been dealing with this for 2 months, I'm getting sick of working on this problem.

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
May want to reach out to Pat G. or Rick C. for transmission control module programming. Besides the cam, is the car otherwise stock?

·
Registered
395 Posts
The engine shouldn't care about trans programming. As long as the engine tuning remains accurate for the cam you should be fine. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car has a header back solo exhaust and ls7 maf but otherwise it's stock. I don't have anything other than an elm27 for the torque pro app so i have no way of programming the TCM at the moment. I was thinking of having pat do it next year when I get the car and my housing situated. I just need the car to stop being stupid on me haha. As long as the stock tune on the TCM won't make the engine tune act weird I'll be ok with it for now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, did the swap today but the car only goes into 2nd and reverse. What's the secret for getting it to relearn everything?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Its in some sort of limp mode most likely. is the TCM programmed with a G8 appropriate operating system?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup. I talked to Tim at tk performance who said he could program that part but I'd need hptuner (which I don't have) to get it running. Or take it to a dealer, which is what I'm doing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts