Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ok I'll chime in since I'm a Service Mgr. If the motor is going to be replaced or warrants a major tear-down GM requires us to pull up the Calibration history & submit it as well so they can tell if the vehicle has been "played" with (a custom tune even a Cortex wont have an OEM Calibration ID and will stick out like a sore thumb.

Ideally here is what I have done on my TBSS and will do b4 I Cortex my G8. I will acquire a new PCM and flash it/VIN LOCK it to my G8 with current software. Then I will Cortex that unit. So if I ever have an issue I will be able to swap PCM's back into the car. If u have any further questions I will try to help you out.

If u don't mind, what is your car doing?

Sent from the BatPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I'd rather take it to a speed shop and have everything upgraded than let the dealer mess with it. If you can't afford to play, then don't.

Probably just jinxed myself...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would say most of the adivice given so far seems correct but in the end it will come down to the dealership / service center you take the car to. If you bring in a blown engine into your local dealership and you are honest with them they are probably going to do everything they can to get you covered under warantee. The dealership knows they charge more then the non-dealership shop down the road to replace an engine.

The best chance they have of getting to do the work and get paid is to have GM pay them to do the work. If I knew I had to pay for it because they are voiding my warantee, I'm taking my car to hot rod shop and having a crate motor dropped in it for haft the cost. Or rolling it into a lake for the insurance money ect. (jk)

Times are tough and I bet the shop wants to do the work especially a high priced repair like we are talking about.

·
Lead footed member
29 Posts
Ok I'll chime in since I'm a Service Mgr. If the motor is going to be replaced or warrants a major tear-down GM requires us to pull up the Calibration history & submit it as well so they can tell if the vehicle has been "played" with (a custom tune even a Cortex wont have an OEM Calibration ID and will stick out like a sore thumb.

Ideally here is what I have done on my TBSS and will do b4 I Cortex my G8. I will acquire a new PCM and flash it/VIN LOCK it to my G8 with current software. Then I will Cortex that unit. So if I ever have an issue I will be able to swap PCM's back into the car. If u have any further questions I will try to help you out.
Doesn't the PCM hold odometer info, etc which could provide clues that it had been swapped?

·
Addicted
1,476 Posts
I believe the odo is in the BCM...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Holy incorrect info thread Batman!
(Most of this is here on the site)

1. GM will void your powertrain warranty if they find an aftermarket calibration. There's been dealer notices to this effect. I know this seems counter to the MMA, but GM will do it and its gonna be up to you, your lawyer, your experts to debate GM..good luck with that.

2. There is no flash counter enabled on the G8s.

3. If they data log certain params (say shift points), a stealth tune won't save you. If they actually download the cal..stealth tune won't help you. To be fair most dealers won't go that far, but who knows in the future.

If you're referring to the fact that the emissions and other tests are all "incomplete" that happens under many other circumstances (emissions OBD code for example) that will reset all those. They aren't necessarily an indicator of being flashed.

So having a second PCM is a good option and/or reflashing is a good option. Also having a good dealer relationship is crucial as well. Demod as much as possible as well giving them less cause to look.

Good post.

My techs won't really go that nuts looking for tunes, I'm friendly with a few Corvette and Camaro SS owners at my dealership and I tell them to flash back to stock before coming in for warranty work, just in case.

GM can void the powertrain warranty if they find a tune, if the rear fails and they find a tune they could say the added power causing premature wear on the rear(or any other part) and BAM, denied. Now, that happening is slim. My techs could definitely dig deeper to find something even if you flashed back to stock but there's no real need unless my customer is being a complete and utter toolbag(example being the few Corvette owners that come in but luckily they're so pompous they don't mod their cars unless you can't tacky tail light covers lol).

The fact is GM is responsible for warrantying a STOCK, unmodified car, period...end of discussion. There was one post saying that Audi and other makes do tunes..well that's from them, through factory testing. We can debate whether someone on the outside can tune "better" but if a car maker comes up with the tune they warranty it.

Just be careful and be smart. As others have said having a good relationship with your dealership or your Service Writer is key. I haven't had too many powertrain failures on the performance cars but if the customer is a complete dick you better believe I'll direct my technicians to find what they can to void something but that hasn't happened yet.

EDIT: Sorry guys, didn't realize the last post was August of '11, thought it said August of '12 :(

·
Registered
322 Posts
Old thread but it came up in my search. Im taking my car to the dealer tomorrow to get a chirping sound looked at. i was going to flash back to stock tonight but I am getting an error on my autocal that the stock tune file is not licensed for use with this autocal. only files that are saved for remote option can be used. how can I get my stock tune back on the car?

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
ask Pat

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hello jasonvt,

Please keep us updated after your dealership visit. If there is anything else we can look into or assist with, please let us know. Feel free to send us a private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2008 Pontiac g8 gt. And my check engine light keeps coming on and the code is oil pressure sensor I changed it 3 times and it still comes on after a couple days after changing it. Any ideas?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
19 Participants
bmitchell109
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing