Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some extra money and was wondering wether to get my cats taken out this weekend or wait til next week and buy the super chips f5.. I’ll have my tax returns in like 3.5 weeks so I could also orivabaky just get whichever one I don’t get then. Just indescisive and looking for some help deciding lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve read on here that it will throw a code when taking out the cats.. will this code actually affect my cars performance at all? Better to just wait to get full headers?

·
F1rehawk
764 Posts
If you already have an exhaust on it, then why hack it? What exhaust do you have? Don't go that route man, you'll regret it. Get some good headers like Kooks, they sound sweet with cats. I have the Solo with the high flow cats, no drone at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[GTRenegade91] ”If you already have an exhaust on it, then why hack it? What exhaust do you have? Don't go that route man, you'll regret it. Get some good headers like Kooks, they sound sweet with cats. I have the Solo with the high flow cats, no drone at all.”

I have a mangaflow setup on it. So will it not throw a code w/ headers and no cats but will if you just take out the cats?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have kooks full length headers, high flow cats, with full corsa exhaust . No drone and when the boost comes on, it sounds phenomenal. Nice mellow rumble at idle too.

·
Vendor
400 Posts
Lukes_G8 if you add headers with or without cats you'll need a custom tune. With headers you will eventually throw a code and the tune will be off leaving power on the table. The two go hand in hand.

You can add a set of Solo high flow cats, they are a nice option to add some volume (you might run into a cel every now and again) and do not require a tune.

We have some great pricing on all sorts of exhaust options and headers and big savings with code HOLDEN for forum members. We also do installs and tuning if you're local. We're looking to get some more G8s in the shop

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Cheapest way to go louder?

Sell your magnaflow catback, buy a Solo catback. The solo will be louder, and have zero drone at 65-70 mph.

Of you can buy a set of cutouts if you like to live on the wild side.

·
F1rehawk
764 Posts
If you have a full Magnaflow exhaust set including cats, I have no idea why you would want to start hacking it. That stuff is expensive. How old are you, 18?

Just buy headers and attach them to you current setup. Or like other people said, sell your current setup and buy one without cats.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No videos yet, but soon, the gxp is at shop getting the Livermore stage 1 cam swapped out for a stage 2 and a line lock setup installed. Also got a set of drag radials mounted on some rims. so after break in on cam, there will be video of the gxp melting the rear,s and putting down some posi tracks thru a few gears. Can,t wait! Stay tuned. Take care, Patman

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been searching for the perfect setup for my gt. I have the Solo catback balanced. It Is a good exhaust. I love the sound. But I would recommend getting Kooks LTH ($830+shipping) and the catted solo connection pipes($230+shipping). Warning if your DOD is still active you will still get drone when putting around. If you would like to go the F5 route I have 1 in perfect condition I will sell you for $250 shipped. And I also have the O2 extenders made for our vehicle I would sell as well $25. They are stainless steel and used for about 200 miles. I tried going the inexpensive route as well but I went with Pypes headers (regret). Ultimately headers and tune is the way to go. But the f5 will deactivate DOD. The extenders will keep off CEL if you choose to install headers and wait to get professional tune.

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
Don't hack your exhaust and don't buy the superchips. Get a real tune. Hacking no cats for the sake of sound is stupid.

If you want more sound get a better exhaust. As suggested the solo is probably the best sounding setup on the G8. Combine that with the kooks catted mids, or a kooks longtubes setup and you will be golden.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Agreed with most here, don’t hack up your cat system. Can’t speak for the super chips tune but I think with some searching you will find better alternatives. GL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts