Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking in to headers and feel confident there, but unsure as to what the best move is for a tune.

Options seem to be -

1. Purchase a tuning device and get an emailed tune from one of the reputable tuners (e.g. Pat G).
2. Go to a local tuning shop with good reviews. The downside here is that I'm not sure any specialize in G8s as much as some of the other out of state tuners.
3. Drive out of state... GP Tuning in CA is an 8/9 hour drive for me, or possibly Seattle has options.

#s 2 and 3 don't require me buying a tuning device, which saves some money. #3 might not be ideal if there are issues, as I'd then need to go back, or pick up a device to tune remotely.

I like the idea of #2 because it's the most simple, and saves some money. I don't take my car to the track, so would going to a "solid" local shop that has some experience with GMs/Chevys be much worse than going to a tuner that specializes or has a lot of experience with G8s, i.e. would Pat G or Rick Crawford's tune FAR outperform what someone nearby would do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I'm from Seattle and just got done having a cammed LS3 installed. The mechanic that works with a local tuner was supposed to "tune" my car. They got it running but it was some half assed tune and ran like ****. Up here dyno tunes are $500 ish? But this issue is they are 30 days out. So let's say the first tune is crap. Then you have to live with that tune and schedule another 30 days and how much is that 2nd tune?
I lived with a shitty tune for like a month because the tuner blamed the mechanic for not running right and then the mechanic was mia. I finally bit the bullet and went with Pat G. More than a month of bullshit from the tuner and an ill running car was fixed within a week with Pat G. After receiving the HP Tuner's VCM products, I downloaded the factory tune and a complete description of my application and issues. His first tune out of the box got me 90% there and fixed the issues that the tuner said was a mechanical problem (I replaced the crank angle sensor and was chasing my tail). Once I datalogged my car and emailed pat, he sent a revised tune with my preferences for the TCM tuning.
He also noticed a misfire on the #6 plug suggested I look at. Ended up being a spark plug with cracked porcelain. (how much was that worth?). 2nd tune was sent and installed that I'm there.

You also have to ask if any local tuners are any good at engine tunes AND TCM tunes, Local tuners aren't from what I briefly read. Cost me about $860 with Pat G. But I also have the ability to to retunes for $50. And the VCM datalogger I can use anytime and it also has error code reading ability. Something you don't get with just a dyno tune.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm from Seattle and just got done having a cammed LS3 installed. The mechanic that works with a local tuner was supposed to "tune" my car. They got it running but it was some half assed tune and ran like ****. Up here dyno tunes are $500 ish? But this issue is they are 30 days out. So let's say the first tune is crap. Then you have to live with that tune and schedule another 30 days and how much is that 2nd tune?
I lived with a shitty tune for like a month because the tuner blamed the mechanic for not running right and then the mechanic was mia. I finally bit the bullet and went with Pat G. More than a month of bullshit from the tuner and an ill running car was fixed within a week with Pat G. After receiving the HP Tuner's VCM products, I downloaded the factory tune and a complete description of my application and issues. His first tune out of the box got me 90% there and fixed the issues that the tuner said was a mechanical problem (I replaced the crank angle sensor and was chasing my tail). Once I datalogged my car and emailed pat, he sent a revised tune with my preferences for the TCM tuning.
He also noticed a misfire on the #6 plug suggested I look at. Ended up being a spark plug with cracked porcelain. (how much was that worth?). 2nd tune was sent and installed that I'm there.

You also have to ask if any local tuners are any good at engine tunes AND TCM tunes, Local tuners aren't from what I briefly read. Cost me about $860 with Pat G. But I also have the ability to to retunes for $50. And the VCM datalogger I can use anytime and it also has error code reading ability. Something you don't get with just a dyno tune.
That's great you were able to work it out so quick with Pat G. Sounds like a reliable way to go for sure. I'll have to look more in to the local shops, but the email tune may be the safest way to go.

·
Premium Member
6,433 Posts
Suggest the first option for long-term cost benefit, knowing the tuner has been thoroughly vetted, and since they have the ability to tune remotely.

Reactions: g8northwest

·
Registered
196 Posts
I lived in Oregon for almost ten years. In fact that is where I bought my 2008 G8 GT brand new. I first tried a local tuner and that didn't work out. Patrick G. saved my G8. That was back in 2010. Now I've lived in Boston for five years and it just so happens that the shop that wrenches my G8 partners with Patrick G for all tuning. Patrick G. knows his stuff and I've never had an issue with his tunes.

Reactions: g8northwest

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recommend Pat G also, he is a wizard with the TCM tune and that's included in the tune. It may cost a little more upfront but you also own your HP tuner to use with future cars, you just buy more credits. The former owner of my G8 had it tuned by someone reputable and expensive in the Portland area and was told he needed a higher stall converter because of drivability issues. Had Pat G tune and it was night and day difference, didn't need a converter, just someone who knows these cars. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I recommend Pat G also, he is a wizard with the TCM tune and that's included in the tune. It may cost a little more upfront but you also own your HP tuner to use with future cars, you just buy more credits. The former owner of my G8 had it tuned by someone reputable and expensive in the Portland area and was told he needed a higher stall converter because of drivability issues. Had Pat G tune and it was night and day difference, didn't need a converter, just someone who knows these cars. Good luck.
Right TCM tuning is probably worth just as much. The guy local tuner / mechanic said I'd need a convertor with my cammed motor but Pat was able to smooth it out enough to make it optional. It still ever so slightly pulls on the convertor but that's not Pat's fault. And it would lag and backfire before Pat tuned it. After, it pulls hard from idle to redline.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts