Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done running a track day today, obviously a lot of fun. But only running a high 15 with a stock V6 makes me want to do more to it.

My friends have been pushing me to throw a turbo on it, but I can't find really anything out there about turboing a V6 G8, and I wanted to come here to get all of your opinions.
Is it worth it to go for a turbo, along with all the other accessories that are required for it to work without breaking the car, or is there another way to push more power that may be better budgetwise as well as safer for the car.

If turboing is a good idea, and I like it because its not common for the V6, does anyone know any more information such as turbo kits and ECUs that would be a good fit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but turboing the LY6 sounds like a terrible idea. I don't know of any bolt on kits and even if one did exist it would realistically cost you 8k+ to do it properly and thats if you did all the work yourself (fuel system, intercooling, tuning, etc really adds up in a hurry). Even then I'd wager the motor would be hardly breaking into the high 400hp range and the transmission exploding in its wake.

I hate to be one of those people who says just get a GT and I try to offer some explanation, but that usually is they best option for these scenarios. There is a reason the LS is so popular in every racing variety - it's relatively cheap, it's reliable, and it's got tons of potential.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
The LY7 cant handle a turbo,if the engine is stock. Engine work would be needed to support the pressure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd suggest doing the following Mods first:

Manifold Spacers, Cold Air Intake, Underdrive Pulley, 3.27 or 3.45 Diff, CPR6 Manifold, Headers, Throttle Controller, Larger Throttlebody & Tune from Overkill

You'd be pushing around 325 Horsepower (at best). At that point I'd look into upgrading to a 6L50 Transmission.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts