Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Twin Turbo 3.6?

12K views 44 replies 14 participants last post by  kasper103 
#1 ·
My co-worker told me about STS Turbo today and I was doing research and I see they managed to screw crazy numbers of horsepower out of a Camaro 3.6 DI with a SINGLE turbo.

What if I did a twin turbo setup like this with 5 pounds of boost?

I think I found my next project. :)

See less See more
#4 ·
From what I've heard from Sv6 owners, the transmission is good for 350whp max. .
Don't the SV6s have the 6 speed? I can't imagine our 5 speeds are good for that number to the wheels.

#7 ·
Hmmmmm I love the sound of that . Makes it a sleeper

#9 ·
Be great if it worked on the 5 speed.

#10 ·
Well if you guys think single is the way to go, it is cheaper so I will certainly give it a shot!

I REALLY like the six speed better. Only quirk is that I haven't gotten tap shift or sport mode to work yet, not that I have really tried. But- I spent many nights before I did this conversion to decide which rear gear ratio I wanted to go with it, be it 2.92, 3.27, or 3.45. I chose 3.45 because it was already in the car and I was enjoying the torque with the 5 speed and the 3.45. If you wanted a super economy car, you could be taching1800 with the stock 2.92s and a 6 speed at 70 MPH for sure. But, I stuck with the 3.45s and I really like it the way it is. The 6 speed puts the engine in its torque range when it shifts, instead of below the power band where it is drawn out while the engine revs up before it goes.

I did do some modifying with the six speed as well. I had the pressure plates machined in the 1-2-3-4, 2-6, 3-5-R, and 4-5-6 clutches so I could add extra frictions in each. I still need to have it tuned for shift points and the speedometer and maybe a little more line pressure.

Overall, knowing what I know now, it is a very easy swap. I also have a custom one piece driveshaft with no flex discs. That works very well also. But I am thinking with a turbo, my once decent V6 will become a pretty respectable car. lol

#11 ·
But I am thinking with a turbo, my once decent V6 will become a pretty respectable car. lol
If you can make the turbo work it will be an extremely respectable car in my opinion. Why hasn't someone already tried turbo setup with the V6? Is it issues with tuning or just availability of a kit or what?

#12 ·
I would love to do it just how much would it be.

#13 ·
I read through this thread, and thought - if money were no object, why not pick up a new 3.6L TT with the 8-speed Aisin that GM is putting into the CTS-VSport? Stock - 420HP. The CTS-VSport has been run at 12.7 sec in the 1/4. Can't wait for the tuners to squeeze more out of this motor.

#14 ·
Zub, if money were no object why use a v6? why not bump it up to a LS9 or something better?

#16 ·
Right - originality, fuel economy, and having a complete newer engine/tranny combo that would likely be super reliable. And a sleeper!

#17 ·
Don't think I haven't thought of that new TT 3.6 that GM is unveiling. But that is way too expensive and I can't even have one yet. lol

I think turbocharging the LY7 with a 6L50 and 3.45 rear gears will make for a respectable sleeper. It still would cost less than putting in a V8, and won't be that much worse than one (theoretically)

#25 ·
GM hardened some of the 3.6 internals before going DI on the newer engines. That should tell you something. If your going north of 400HP if say investing in the same would be wise.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#36 ·
#37 ·
It will when I get the programming worked out. I need software for a 2008 CTS for it to work properly as the tap shift circuit goes through the BCM in an identical way to the G8.

#38 ·
Figured as much, good stuff thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.